Dermatology Expert Forum
do all sores ooze?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

do all sores ooze?

Thanks for the forum it is very helpful. My question is what defines a sore? I noticed a small area on my scrotum that looked slightly unusual to me. I was perhaps looking more closely than usual the weeks following some heavy petting with a female stranger. We were naked, no insertion, no kissing, some mutual masturbation. My take from other responses is that this is very low risk. The area in question is small enough that if I don't stretch the skin it is not visible other than what looks like a small indent, no redness. When skin is looser or stretched looks like a small slightly raised u shape under the skin, maybe a few milimeters long and if I irritate it enough looks like maybe a small line in it and a bit shiney. no oozing no itching no peeling just maybe a little irritated looking.

does it have to exhibit certain characteristics for me to consider it a sore rather than just part of uneven scrotal surface. In my scouring the net for pictures of scrotal sores they all seem to ooze, was trying to understand if without the ooze it is not a sore.

thanks in advance
It sounds as though what you're describing is not a sore, which refers to a scabbed opening.  having said that, i would add that as you must realize, there is no way to definitively diagnose what you have by reading a description or by scouring the internet.  Your behavior was indeed not all that high-risk, but if you really want to know what you have so you can stop worrying, you need to stop examining yourself with such care and see a doctor.  You will, I am confident, get good news.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
The chance you contracted any STD from your encounter is zero.  Given your description, it does not sound like herpes and even if it was its not likely you would have contracted it from this particular encounter.  It's may be a sebaceous cyst, folliculitis, tinea cruris, maybe a number of other things but I highly doubt it is herpes.  I believe that sores in relation to herpes generally start out as raised red bumps (water-type blisters) which could tingle, be sore, or itch and after about a day they become open sores for a few days.  Then after they crust up and go away, generally lasting anywhere from 1-2 weeks.  Your description does not match this in the least bit.  I wouldnt worry about it too much. For reassurance have a dermatologist or your GP examine the bump to tell you what it is for sure.  Herpes is not the likely diagnosis.  Wait for the Derm in here to reply, but relax until then.  You're fine.
thanks for kind response