Dermatology Expert Forum
dry, itchy, flaky, red skin in groin area
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

dry, itchy, flaky, red skin in groin area

I am a female in my mid 30s. At the beginning of July, I noticed some itching in the groin/pubic region (not on genitals, just in region of pub hair above) when I went to the beach.  I had not had any sexual contact since mid-May.  The area has remained somewhat dry, red, and itchy ever since, although it varies and is worse at night and when I wear bathing suits. I don't think it is herpes, because I haven't noticed any blisters or other symptoms, and there was a month and a half period between sexual contact and onset. I was using a hot tub and heated pool at my gym during the weeks before it started, so I thought it might be hot tub rash, but it's not really even rash-like--the skin is just dry and red, and sometimes flaky.  I tend to scratch in my sleep a lot, so it's possible that the redness is caused or worsened by scratching---it seems to come and go, even within the same day. I generally have sensitive skin (dermographism and hives), but I have never been diagnosed with eczema, although that's what this seems like. The area affected seems limited to one patch of dry skin, but I can't figure out whether it is just dry skin, dermatitis, fungal, or an STD. I am not sure how to treat the itching---I tend to scratch in  my sleep anyhow (my allergist gave me a prescription for Atarax, which I've never used and  would rather not start)---is it okay to use hydrocortisone cream? It seems raw now whereas before it was dry, so I'm afraid I may be worsening it or causing an infection. Is it possible that it is an STD?