Dermatology Expert Forum
dry, itchy, flaky, red skin in groin area

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I am a female in my mid 30s. At the beginning of July, I noticed some itching in the groin/pubic region (not on genitals, just in region of pub hair above) when I went to the beach.  I had not had any sexual contact since mid-May.  The area has remained somewhat dry, red, and itchy ever since, although it varies and is worse at night and when I wear bathing suits. I don't think it is herpes, because I haven't noticed any blisters or other symptoms, and there was a month and a half period between sexual contact and onset. I was using a hot tub and heated pool at my gym during the weeks before it started, so I thought it might be hot tub rash, but it's not really even rash-like--the skin is just dry and red, and sometimes flaky.  I tend to scratch in my sleep a lot, so it's possible that the redness is caused or worsened by scratching---it seems to come and go, even within the same day. I generally have sensitive skin (dermographism and hives), but I have never been diagnosed with eczema, although that's what this seems like. The area affected seems limited to one patch of dry skin, but I can't figure out whether it is just dry skin, dermatitis, fungal, or an STD. I am not sure how to treat the itching---I tend to scratch in  my sleep anyhow (my allergist gave me a prescription for Atarax, which I've never used and  would rather not start)---is it okay to use hydrocortisone cream? It seems raw now whereas before it was dry, so I'm afraid I may be worsening it or causing an infection. Is it possible that it is an STD?
Doesn't sound anything like herpes or an STD.  Among many other things, herpes doesn't last from July to September.  It does sound like eczema/irritation, despite your lack of a previous diagnosis of eczema.  Scratching makes it worse, of course.  My advice is to get some over-the-counter 1% hydrocortisone and apply it twice a day, while you wait for an appointment to see a doctor, in case it doesn't go away in 2 weeks.  Moisturize often as well, to help you scratch less.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
my skin is so itchy right now after being in a hot tub for 2 hrs. that was 2 days ago. but my groin area is itchy, and has some smell to it. it's not to bad and i haven't been with anyone in 8 months. but i smell the difference. but my ex of 12 yrs has cheated on me with other women. my paps come up clean. every year i ask for the full screen. i'm 31 yrs old now going on 32. is my body changing or is something wrong. just today i went to the bathroom and i was spotting after having my period  a week and a half ago. but my skin still is so itchy. i have a skin disorter which i can't spell. it's call sueriocis. it hasn't been in flame for years.so can you help me?
A related discussion, The red, itchy flakey skin question was started.