dry, white patches on my upper arms/shoulders

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

7022918?1309218495
I started tanning and have noticed that little patches of skin on my shoulders/upper arms are standing out, they're lighter than my tanning skin and are rough and kind of bumpy in texture. I have looked up what keratosis pilaris is and it doesn't match what I have. My bumps are very small, almost not even there but the skin is rougher than the rest of my arm and lighter in color. Is this due to tanning? I've heard stories of getting patches of skin that don't tan anymore after going for so long but does it also change in texture? I have tried exfoliating, lotions, everything and they aren't going away and the more I go tanning, the more obvious they become. I have a wedding to go to in a month and don't want to have these patches of skin sticking out like a sore thumb. Please help! Thank you!!!
  • face (1 replies):
    i hav brown and white patches on my face.its look like b...[more]
  • white spots (1 replies):
    Just a couple of months ago a started to get white spots...[more]
  • Please help (1 replies):
    I am a light skinned boy of age 20.i have dark patches s...[more]
  • White Spots on Skin (1 replies):
    My friend is developing white spots on her arms, and she...[more]
  • sun allergy (1 replies):
    i got sun allergy,whwnever i go out n exposed sun,my exp...[more]
Such type of white spots can be due to tinea versicolor. Pityriasis versicolor (Tinea veriscolor) is a fungal infection caused by commensal yeasts in hot and humid conditions. Selenium sulphide lotion can be applied for around 10-15 minutes, rinsed off and re-applied daily for about a week. It is less messy and preferably easy to use than the Selsun and Ketoconazole shampoos which needs to applied on the patches of affected skin after an evening bath, left to dry the whole night and washed off the next morning. For widespread or stubborn infections, itraconazole tablets have shown good results in curative aspects but they are available under prescription.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.