dry finger tips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

dry finger tips

Almost all my finger tips especially on the right hand and the index finger are very dry, rough, and cracky. Then when when the are wet they get wrinkly. I have been applying petroleum jelly, covered with cotton liner and latex gloves for a few days but I don't see any big improvement. I have AmLactin moisturizing lotion, would that be better to use and how
should I use it to make it work? Thank you for your help.

This discussion is related to dry fingertips.
Avatar n tn
think it comes when you wear latex gloves for a while, thats how it is with me, as I,m a painter and try and keep the paint off my hands,cant win
These dry fingertips can be due to contact dermatitis and contact with harsh detergents, soaps and lotions. Sometimes cold, dry air can cause  peeling and dermatitis or fungal infections can also cause such dryness.
Use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin. During the day, hydrate and protect hands with a protective and moisturizing cream. At night, repair them with creams formulated from glycolic acid—a must for improving skin texture and tone. If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Fungal infections and eczema have to be ruled out then. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.