Dermatology Expert Forum
dry fingertips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

dry fingertips

For the past 9 months, I have had dry fingertips, mostly on my right hand.  Only my right index finger and thumb seem unaffected by this dryness. My left ring finger is the worst.  My fingertips generally feel dry and look shriveled/wrinkled as if they have been submerged in water.Unless I have been applying lotion regulary, the skin feels sort of tough.  They are pretty much fine in the morning when I wake up and get more dry and wrinkly after I start cleaning (I have a baby and two other children) and using water.  They feel the best when I am outside in the humidity and when I put lotion on them.  They aren't cracked but have some tiny indents that never seem to go away, probably from chronic dryness.    What is causing this and will it ever go away?  I am wondering if they just aren't prespiring or secreting oils as they should.
Kathy:

Eczema of the fingertips is a difficult problem, especially if you have small kids and a lot of handwashing to do.  My advice is to wear gloves when possible when your hands are wet, and that you use a heavy moisture cream like Aquaphor ointment (OTC) frquesntly throughout the day and at bedtime.  The changes and indenst you see are not permanent.

best.

Dr. R
I have had reocurring eczema for 52 yrs. In all those years the only product that has truly been effective had a brand name of Medrol cream (not the ointment). Recently my son developed a bad case of eczema on his legs and feet. By the time he showed me and asked if I had any ideas, they looked liked pieces of raw meat. I hadn't had to use anything for years. My hands would periodically develop a few bubbles under the skin and then it would peel. This only occurs when I get upset and stomach acids builds up; 1 or 2 days later the bubbles appear. I called my doctor and asked him for a prescription. When I got to the drug store to pick up the cream, the druggist said he was surprised he had it in stock since the patent had expired and it was now a generic only. I do not have the container here with me so I can't give the chemical name. I do know that within 2 days my son's legs and feet were on the mend and within 7 days all of the oozing lesions had dryed and started to regenerate new skin underneath. Over the years, I have given this name to anyone who complained of eczema and I have never know it to fail. It is a cortizone and should be used sparingly but it works. Why is it that doctor's seem to have forgotten this effect treatment? My own doctor is probably only in his early 40s and I had to tell him about "Medrol."
A related discussion, Fingertips wrinkled and feel wet was started.
A related discussion, dry finger tips was started.