dry hard ankle

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

dry hard ankle

My right ankle has a dry hard layer of skin over it, it is sometimes dark and has a circle around it. The skin is dead, I can pull it off and feel nothing until it bleeds. Sometimes it is flaky. I have seen two doctors about it and neither can tell me what it is. They tell me to try moisture cream. One doctor told me it was from swimming too much, but wouldnt I have it elsewhere if that was the case? I have tried creams, oils, gels, nothing works. Even removing the skin, it grows back the same. I dont wear anything that rubs against my ankles besides socks. Im always getting asked whats wrong with my ankle and I cant explain it and its embarassing.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I cannot confirm anything without examination but it can be eczema. Eczema is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites. You can apply some calamine lotion at the rash as it will help in soothing the skin. You can take some OTC oral antihistamine medications like Benadryl or Claritin and see if it helps.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used, whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid which are available by prescription. Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. So use good quality moisturizers to prevent moisture loss from the skin.

If still the symptoms do not improve then please get a clinical examination done by a dermatologist. Hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing. Kind regards.

thanks allot for the answers. My doctor told me he cant send me to a dermatologist because its not a severe enough problem effecting my health and that they wont see me for it. But I will try some of the other options, washing it several times daily and I will get more good quality moisturizers to try on it. thank you so much.