dry lips with little bumps

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

dry lips with little bumps

I have had chapped lips and I was using chappstick for a while that was not helping, I decided to use my face scribe to gently scrub away all the dead skin from my lips. and now I have dry and bumpy lips. Any one have any suggestions on how to treat this.

This could be a part of Cheilitis, which is a medical condition involving inflammation of the lip. Or a bad case of Chapped lips , a condition whereby the lips become dry and possibly cracked. It may be caused by the evaporation of moisture.

Lip balm can often provide temporary relief, though it should not be used extensively.  One should avoid licking their lips as saliva contains the enzyme amylase, which can damage the already compromised lip tissue.
Honey can be used on the lips as a natural remedy.

Cheilitis is associated with many conditions from Vitamin B12 deficiency, iron deficiency anemia, be a symptom of allergies.can also be caused by taking the (retinoid) drug Isotretinoin (brand name Roaccutane).

Applying protective paraffin-based ointment (such as Vaseline) or lip balms to the lips is normally very effective. Also take Vitamin B supplements.

Some causes of the symptoms you mention, could be lip biting, lip licking, Vit.B2 deficiency, smoking, overexposure to sun and ill fitting dentures. In extreme cases, this could be due to bacterial or fungal skin infection.

You need to drink plenty of water daily – around 1.5 – 3 litres per day and eat a balanced diet. Do not keep your lips dry; apply lip balm which contains sunscreen – preferably a medicated one.

If the symptoms still persist, consult your skin specialist or dermatologist.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.

Try abreva.  
one morning I work up with small itchy bumps on my upper lip near the middle and my lips became very dry and chapped not sure what is was I began to do research on the internet. After 2 days of reading about various lip blister diagnosis. I did not find anything that came close to what I might have. I thought mabe it was due to stress or lack of sleep.   So I decided to put alcohol on a cotton ball and place it on my lips for about 20 minuites it began to burn and my bumps went way down. Can someone help me to figure out what this could be...
After oral sex my lips are swollen itchy, and in places oozing something yellow. it also becomes dry and cracked around my mouth and I get cuts at corners of my mouth. what is wrong with me?