dry patch on upper lip/won't go away

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

dry patch on upper lip/won't go away

about 2 months ago I noticed a small dry spot on my upper lip that was unusual. It feels like something is covering my lip in that spot, but does not hurt or burn. It's just very annoying and I feel it constantly. It feels like a dried fever blister that is healing, but I have not had a fever blister or cold sore. It started as a dry patch and has remained that way for this long. I use Carmex or Neosporin Lip Health all day just to soften the lips so that it isn't as annoying but it still will not go away. Can you tell me if this is something to get checked?
Firstly, It can be due to vit B deficiency. Take some vitamin B complex for some days and see if your symptoms improve.
Secondly, it can be due to atopic dermatitis or eczema ("Atopic" refers to a group of diseases where there is often an inherited tendency to develop other allergic conditions, such as asthma and hay fever). Cheilitis(Inflammation of the skin on and around the lips)is often seen in atopic dermatitis. Diagnosed by blood test like RAST. Treatment is by topical steroids or oral therapy of corticosteroids in severe cases. Topical creams like tacrolimus ointment (Protopic) and pimecrolimus cream (Elidel) are also useful. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Did you ever get a resolution to your dry lip patch issue.  I'm having something similar and am curious.
Hi all i just posted this on another thread for the same problem as I know how irratating it is and want to help others experiencing the same thing. I had the same problem for several weeks dry patch on my upper lip and when i rubed my lips together it felt awful no pain just extreamly irritating and i noticed it constantly until my doctor recommended using blistex conditioning lip balm. It went away within two days please try this it was such a simple solution. The diagnosis for the rough patches on your lips is sevearly dry skin that won't be moisturized by most lip balms or vasaline please try blistex it is $4.00 is aus and worth every cent. Let me know how you go!