Dermatology Expert Forum
dry patches on top of ears

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

dry patches on top of ears
I have posted this question under acne, for lack of a better discription, but I am coming to you for a definition and explaination.  About a couple of months ago I developed what appeared to be a small pimple on my left ear which just sort of stayed there.  After a few weeks it began to dry out somewhat and I attempted to just pick it off. It sort of flaked off a little, (what seeped out)but as I began scratching it harder, to remove it, it started bleeding -so I left it alone a little longer.  Again a week or so later it was still there so I began scratching at it again, with the same results.  Then a couple of weeks later I got the same kind of pimple, zit, red spot??? on my right ear on the same spot as my left ear doing the same thing.  If they were down on my earlobes they would look like ear rings, however they on the tops of my ears where there is a sort of skin buckle.  No matter how much scratching, pealing, rubbing I do these don't go away.  The left ear has sort of turned into a quarter inch dry patch in the crease of the ear that will bleed if I pick at it.  The right is turning out to be the same.  Can this lead to death and/or What is it?? Thanks
My advice is to try not picking, scratching, or rubbing these bumps, since those maneuevrs will perpetuate the problem instead of lessening it.  I can't think of any diseases which do what you describe, unless aided by the probing finger.  Try applying a bland moisture cream, like Vaseline, twice a day, and otherwise leaving the spots alone.  I bet they heal fine.  If not, show a doc.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff