dry patches on upper lip

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

dry patches on upper lip

I can not believe that so many people have the same lip issue. I got my first dry patch on my upper lip about 5 month ago. It started out as a little bump and turned into to pinkish (when moisturized) otherwise skin color dry patch. I thought it was the start of a cold soar but it wasn't. After two weeks I decided to see a doctor, he looked it over and said that it did not look like anything serious. Two weeks passed by and the patch on its own went away. Recently, I noticed that the dry patch was slowly returning and multiplying. I now have three of them, one slightly bigger than the other two. I've been putting everything (from Abriva to lip balms to someone suggested honey)on it, to make it go away but nothing has helped. My upper lip looks very dry and you can not see the patches, but as soon as I put lip balm they turn pink and slightly raised. I have no idea what it is. I am going to see the doctor again on August 16th, hopefully she'll know what it is. Does anyone have any answers?
Firstly, It can be due to vit B deficiency. Take some vitamin B complex for some days and see if your symptoms improve.
Secondly, it can be due to atopic dermatitis or eczema("Atopic" refers to a group of diseases where there is often an inherited tendency to develop other allergic conditions, such as asthma and hay fever). Cheilitis(Inflammation of the skin on and around the lips)is often seen in atopic dermatitis.

Avoid licking the lips as saliva evaporates quickly resulting in them being drier than before. Drink plenty of water and take multivitamin supplements and do not apply lipstick or other cosmetic products for some days. Use a humidifier to moisturize the air in your home and apply shea butter or Vaseline on your lips.

I recommend you see your dermatologist for proper treatment, as that may combine an anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and anti-yeast meds and that you use just plain petroleum jelly for moisturizing. This is particularly important right before bedtime.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I had the same problem- dry patch on upper lip.  I've NEVER had this issue before.  It started after I began working at a public school where I was refiling my plastic water bottle in the water fountain.  Well, after reading enough of these posts, I realized that it was probably the combo of the unwashed/ reused water bottle. I tried every kind of chapstick, blistex, carmex, different vitamins, nothing worked.  I was VERY FRUSTRATED.  I stopped drinking from the water fountain at school. I went to my health food store and bought some tea tree oil and rubbed a small amount onto the dry, rough patch a few times a day with some lip balm.  It was gone in 2 days!!  Immediate results!  Please try this and report back.
I had the same issue for over 3 months (dry lips, peeling, pussing, back to dry, peeling, so on and so forth); sometimes it felt like I had a piece of tape over my lip.  I finally decided to visit a clinic and they prescribed a corticosteroid (eg. Prednisone).  It prevents the release of substances in the body that cause inflammation.  It's basically a steroid.  I took one at night and saw immediate results the next morning!  I just finished my prescription (twice/day for 5 days) and my lips are 99% healed.  I highly recommend asking your doctors/physicians if they could prescribe it.  
I had the same problem, stupid dry patch on the upper part of my upper lip and it came out of nowhere. I search the web exhaustively, but everything I tried came to nothing. I finally asked my doctor (!) and told him what I had tried. He rolled his eyes and said "Eucerin." I got the cream in a small tube and used it.

In a week or two....problem solved. Sometimes the patchiness reoccurs, but I just use the Eucerin original cream and it's magic. Try it.