dry,scaly skin above both ankles

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

dry,scaly skin above both ankles

I have 2 almost identical dry/scaly skin patches on the outside of lower legs about 2 inches above my ankles.  each is kind of circular area, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter with smaller spots within that area that are somewhat round and about a 1/4 inch in size.  the patches are sometimes dry/itch/scaly.  I also suffer minor psoriasis on elbows and knees but patches above ankles look different than the psoriasis?  I've had the psoriasis for about 5 years and the patches above ankles maybe 2-3 years?  Not sure if its ringworm or what?  Any ideas/advice would be great.  Thanks.
1st post... so here's a little info i forgot in original question:  I am 37 years old, the patches are reddish in color with white dry/scaly skin and have been present for 2-3 years.  Sometimes less irritated sometimes more, but never completely gone.  
I have a similar condition to that described by andleskin.  2 scaly patches of very dry skin about 2 inches above both ankles.  Excpet my patches are perhaps 4 inches long and 3 inches wide.  I also suffer from dry skin conditions in the rest of my body.  Following advise i read on Dr Weil's website (not promoting him, just stating fact) i have been taking Evening Primrose oil which has produced some results after 8 weeks.  Problem persists however so any help will help.  Am 38 yo male. thanks.
Sounds like eczema. I get it around my ankles. sometimes on the top of my feet. The problem always goes away in a few days to a week. Just use gold bond medicated cream.
I too have same condition last one month i am having dandelion root 500mg one capsule daily and found its helping me.

IT could be due to Atopic dermatitis( a type of eczema)  which is quite common at the joints.Eczema is due to a hypersensitivity reaction (similar to an allergy) in the skin, which leads to long-term inflammation which causes the skin to become itchy and scaly.

Usually a  a family history of allergic conditions like asthma, hay fever, or eczema will be present.
A skin lesion biopsy may be performed to make the diagnosis. Dry skin, food allergens and irritants such as wool and lanolin, soaps and chemicala can aggravate the symptoms and should be avoided.

Mild anti-itch lotions and  low potency corticosteroids  may soothe dry scaly lesions.After bathing, it is important to trap the moisture in the skin by applying lubricating cream on the skin while it is damp.
ref:http://www.myonlinewellness.com/topic/adam1000853

I have dry, itchy, flakey skin just above my ankle on one leg. It's so itchy sometimes i scratch till it bleeds. The problem is, In the morning its really dry, i put lotion on and then my workboots. Just about the end of my work day, it itches soo bad, when i get home, i take workboots off and put lotion on and it starts to leak almost like puss. This condition re-occurs about every six months, it heals and then comes back. Any idea what's going on?
I have a rash on my leg, and one on my ankle, and one on my elbow. They all seem to be different though. The one on my ankle its usually red, and when I scratch it, it becomes white and flakey. The one on my leg has spread from just below my knee, to about two inches above my ankle.It doesn't itch most of the time, only when I am in the shower which I find very strange because I thought hot water was supposed to feel good. The one on my elbow NEVER itches unless I touch it and the bumps are small. The rash on my leg and ankle are swollen, kind of like poison ivy but thats not possible because I never go outside nor do any of my cats and I'm not allergic to cats because I've had cats my entire life. I am not allergic to anything that I know of except what ever is in earing stuff like after you get your ear pierced they give you studd to keep it from getting infected? It makes my ears swell.  I am 5'3, 16, and, as far as I know, completely healthy. Help?
I forgot to mention that the one on my leg was swollen, but its just... rough now I guess you'd put it? The one on my elbow has decided to disappear over night so its gone now. The one on my ankle is still the same. Flakey, swollen, and constantly singing/itching.
Okay, so my dad gave me his Iodine stuff, he said it kills any type of germs and bacteria and whatnot on skin, that its really good for you. But, It made my rash WORSE! It got all swollen and stuff...