dry/whitened labia majora
Hello Doctor,

The skin on my labia majora has been dry, whitened, and itchy for the last year and a half. My gynecologist said it was just severely dry skin and to use vagisil for relief, but it only helps the itching. The area of whiteness has enlarged. I thought it was some form of dermatitis, maybe seborrheic, but nothing seems to help. I have tried applying lubriderm lotion, coconut oil, vitamin e preparations, selsun blue, and glycerin but they have not helped at all. They work the first day i use them but after that there is no difference and it goes back to how it was before. Is there anything i can do to try to cure it? I dont want to use a hydrocortisone cream because of the dependency and the thinning of skin that can occur.

This could be due to Vulvitis caused by a yeast infection. Yeast vulvitis commonly goes together with yeast vaginitis, infection of the vagina by the fungus known as Candida.

The common symptoms are itching, burning, soreness. Vaginal discharge is present if there is associated infection of the vagina.
Yeast infection occurs when new yeast are introduced into the area or there is an increase in the quantity of yeast there relative to the quantity of bacteria, seen during hormonal changes or antibiotic therapy.

The infection can be treated with antifungal medications applied to the affected area. Topically applied antibiotic creams clotrimazole (LOTRIMIN) or miconazole (MONISTAT).
If it is due to any other cause like allergy or chronic dermatitis, then an over-the-counter cortisone cream may be used two or three times a day on the affected area for up to 1 week.

ref:http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=8239