easy off oven cleaner chemical burn

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

easy off oven cleaner chemical burn

Hello. Early this morning i accidently got heavy duty easy off oven cleaner on my arm. I didnt notice and it had to be on my skin 45min to an hour atleast. When i did notice it my arm was already blistering and in large spot had turned black. It looks really bad and looks like i should be screaming in pain...but it hardly hurts. I have an appt with my doc tom and my mother in law looked at it and covered it up and said there wasnt anything that could really be done for it. Shes a nurse by the way. My question is that arent burns supposed to be painful? Ive had sunburns that looks better and hurt waaay more. Thank you. Im worried its third degree.
It can be irritant contact dermatitis or superficial burns but it does not look like third degree burns. Most superficial burns heal within about two weeks and don't usually leave a scarf. For these kind of burns; you can apply antibiotic cream such as silver sulfadiazine (Silvadene).It will prevent infection and help in fast healing. Also wear cotton clothes and do not scratch the area.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Hello it turns out that i have second and third degree burns.
Hi Kassie
,
WOW...
I have just experienced similar burns using same product!

I used gloves and a mask as required and advised, but noticed, as you would expect, some of the product from 'Easy-Off OVEN Heavy Duty Cleaner got on my forearm above where my gloves were protected!

I instantly experienced a burning sensation and washed/rinsed the affected area! Anyway, I continued to finish cleaning our oven!

Well the next morning I got out of bed and took a shower and as the warm water from my shower hit the skin on my arm I felt a very sharp pain. I got out of the shower to try and see what I had done; thinking I had perhaps just cut myself without noticing!

Well I lifted my arm to face the mirror in our bathroom and to my shock I noticed some slight blistering and dark marks on my forearm, similar to what you have described.

I have mildly burnt myself before and am well aware of what a burn to skin should look like! The burns on my forearm from this product 'Easy-Off OVEN Heavy Duty Cleaner, a product of Reckitt Benckiser are quite serious and appear to be a 'caustic' type burn!

Anyway, I havr rang the company who stated 'they are aware of these issues' and are going to put a 'Global Alert' out and advise their technical units! They also said they will reimburse the cost of purchase of product!

kassie26, here is an email address for the company if you fell the need to pursue a refund or medical treatment.

Sincerely,
Adam T