elongated boney protrusion/bulge on top of skull
The top of  my head has developed an elongated, boney buldge running on the top center, starting at the forehead and traveling backwards to the near back of the top of my skull.  What is this?  Should it be treated?

This discussion is related to boney lump on skull.
any possible cause of it... bony protrussious are just normal for newly born infants... its called molding... the caput sucadaneum... please specify its possible cause and its appearance...
thank you for bringing this up.  This gave me great concern.  My son is 4 months old and has just gotten this same bulge in his forehead in the past 3 weeks.  It wasn't evident any sooner.  Does it stay?  It is not a characteristic of his father or myself.  We were concerned that it suddenly sprang up.  How long does it take to go away?  

Should there be any concerns at all?

thanks
myapzumba
it could be the ridge of the metopic suture. Which is normal.. and sometimes with babies a ridge can be a sign of craniosyntosis (sp?) but sometimes its just quite normal.
my son has it
hi i to have a long boney bulge/lump going from my forehead to back of skull im not a newborn im 27 years old, just wanderin did you find any answers about it iv been a little worried as i keep getting head aches as well now.
yes indeed i have developed it too this last year, i'm 100% sure it was not like this before. Have you been taking any strong medications that can increase pressure in skull? Did you get any answer to what's going on?
peace
I'm in my late 50's and have developed a long boney bulge/lump going from my forehead to the back of my skull, too. Does anyone know what is going on?  I am pretty good at medical research but can not find anything on this strange malady!    I have been on arimidex for breast cancer for 20 months which has caused bad bone pain, particularly in my feet.

Any thoughts?
Mom12321
I've always had a pronounced "knot" on the rear base of my skull, level with my ears...
but within the last year I've, I guess grown a protrusion on top rear of my head, it's about 2 inches wide and pretty much aligned with my bald spot. now in the past month I've noticed a ridge forming towards the front of my head. I'm 31 years old, with no head injuries or surgeries, no medications at all, and these lumps feel just as hard as any other part of my head.  

only thing I can come up with is maybe some sort of calcification like the knot I have on a previously untreated broken rib, but what would cause that on my head with no injury or constant contact, like a bone callus or something...
Did anyone find out any answers for these boney ridges?
Last week i noticed a boney ridge had developed starting from the hair line at the centre of my forehead and going backwards for about 2 inches - basically to the centre of my head.  I've been getting headaches since around the time i discovered it, feels like the rest of my skull only after touching it or rubbing it my head aches.  Also have been very sleepy, and have had some difficulty concentrating on tasks.  Seen my dr about it and he has no idea what may have caused it or what it is??
Naa, i was on medication (isotretinoin) and afterwards started getting constant headaches along with other various psychological issues. After a few months i first started to notice what have now developed into a long bulgingridge from forehead to back.... No one seems to know what is going on though
Your skull is full of lymph nodes.  When they are inflamed or infected they protrude outward. They are usually painless.  When you feel it, you would think you fell just to get a bump like that.  The treatment is usually antibiotics and finding why your lymph node or nodes are inflammed.  That in itself can pose many reasons.  Not sure that is what any of you have, but thought I'd mention the lymph nodes because most people don't realize you have them on your skull.
There are no lymph nodes in the skull except in the occipital.
I have a bony ridge that started in the midline just below my hairline.  It has progressed along the top of the skull and is over 2 inches long.  The radiology report in June indicated no fracture on the x-ray.  That was it, even though the bony deformity is clearly obvious.  My new doctor ordered a new x-ray and the deformity is even more evident now.  Have not rec'd radiology report yet.  The doctor and I want to rule in or out Paget's disease of bone.  I also have new ridges forming at the top back of my head.  Some are painful.  My biggest complaint is fatigue and some fleeting weird headaches.

If you're concerned about the changes in your skull, consult a Dr. and ask for an x-ray to start.
did you ever find out what was wrong with you? Im having the same symptoms along the front of my forehead.
I have an elongated ridge bump that has formed in a fist sized dent protruding at the top back of my head. My doctor has ordered an ultrasound to determine if it is bone or soft tissue. Then they said a CT Scan, not an MRI like was first thought. Has anyone figured out what their cause is? I am 55 & this is something new.
I am 55 and just discovered the same type of ridge bump, any word on what caused yours?