excessive sweating under 1 arm

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

excessive sweating under 1 arm

I have recentely started sweating heavily...while sitting still and not being heated....but the strange thing is that it is only under one arm.  I have even felt water dripping down my arm at times, while sitting at my desk in the air conditioned office.  The right armpit does not sweat only the left.  Should I be concerned?  
To:

i would look up hyperhidrosis. that sounds like what you may be dealing with.
I am experiencing the exact same thing and ironically under my left arm only!  I have visited my Endocrinologist, OB/Gyn and today a Breast Surgeon-all to no avail.  The reason the OB/Gyn was involved is I do have very small (appear to be benign) masses in my left breast.  According to the Breast Surgeon-they're likely not related due to size and location.  I also have experienced perspiration literally running down from my left underarm.  It's inconvenient, embarrassing and frustrating!  Please comment if anyone has heard of this, experiencing this or has any intelligent insight.
This has happened to me, but only from the right armpit, it only started about 4-6 weeks ago and is now ruining my shirts.  Even when I wear a vest in cool conditions sweat literally drips down my side.

I have finally had enough and visited the doctor today, who suggested tretaments, not the cause, which was frustrating.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating is associated with overactive sweat glands. Primary hyperhidrosis usually affects the hands, feet and armpits. In majority of these  cases, no cause can be found.  Some literature shows that this can be genetic in origin.  If the sweating occurs as a result of another medical condition, it is called secondary hyperhidrosis. And it is important to determine the underlying cause. A complete medical history, physical examination and some  tests may be done. Support groups such as the International Hyperhidrosis Society ( www.sweathelp.org) may also help.

Take care and regards.
Never use to have a sweating problem until about 2 yrs ago...extreme sweating starting early in the morning,only under my right arm.Bloodtest revealed I was severely anemic at the time...since been on iron therapy (hemoglobin normal,but ferritin remains low)...not sure whether there is a connection between iron deficiency and extreme sweating(but why only under 1 arm?)...anybody else out there who have a similar story? Or who discovered a cause for localized sweating?
I have experienced "Hyperhidrosis" (self diagnosis) for about two months, a few months ago, under both arms only. It got so bad that my pants at the hips where getting saturated--I was about to go to the docs, and it disapeared as suddenly as it came. I was concerned, now I'm not. Sould I be?
you know its funny u say about masses. i have but in my right breast lumps which i had tested n biopsy from them about 1.5 yrs ago,then not cancer.. but i have been sweating out my right arm pit rally bad too.. where it drips.. very imbarresing for about 6 mths ,,, wonder if his has something to do with lumps, or can if infuture turn to nastys.. im going bak to docs now to talk about it,,,,
Anyone have any luck figuring out a cause? I also have lumps in my right breast that are also very very painful close to my period and I sweat really bad under my right arm. They did an ultrasound a couple years back said I have dense breast tissue. Also have thyroid problems.
Hi All,
I was starting some research on possible causes for excessive sweating under one arm only (right) and was surprised (in a good way) and somewhat comforted that I'm not the only one.
It all started about 4-6 weeks ago and I was starting to get concerned, especially because I was never a sweater (unless I was doing physical activities) in my entire life.
The first thought that crossed my mind was could it be breast cancer/linfo nodes (my mom went through it).
I will review all the posted advices on this forum and also see my doctor and hopefully I will be able to provide some valuable feedback.
Hi All,