excessively calloused and cracked hands
A construction worker friend of mine has what I think may be a skin condition.  His hands are completely covered with very thick, dry, cracked, callous-like skin.  I don't mean normal rough and calloused hands and that many construction workers.  This is very thck and including all around his finger, even on top down to his finger nails.  It's so thick and dry that he gets deep cracks in them.  When he shakes my hand it feels like sandpaper.  There is no redness, rashes, or marks of any kind on his skin.  He has actually been doing work for me for a few months now.  I mention that because I see him trying all kinds of things like putting lotions on his hands and sometimes even wearing rubberized gloves to keep the lotion on all day.  Most of what he does is hammering, sawing, and working with various tools.  He also does do some tile work, patching and taping wallboard, and some cement repairs.  But he doesn't have his hands in any of the plaster, cement, or any chemicals.

Of course, I think he should see a dermatologist, but I am wondering if this could be any particular type of skin condition that I could also look up on the Internet.  He just thinks it's due to the kind of work he does, but I have a feeling that it is some type of skin condition.  If I could figure that out and look it up, or get some idea of what it might be, I could convince him to see a dermatologist for treatment.

Any ideas of what this might be?