extremely painful skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

extremely painful skin

I'm writing this because I do not know what else to do. I have seen doctors for over 6 years because of acne which I developed when I was 12. My question is not so much about acne but about the effects of creams, pills etc I was instructed to take by my doctors. After taking priscribed (prescribed) pills medicine etc my skin became severely painful at all times after about a year unless I moisturized every few hours. I can no longer wash my face with water without my face tightening up and burning. I have not taken any medication for two years now but my skin condition has not improved, and if anything has become worse, even to the extent that I could actually cry. If there is anything at all you could reccommend I would greatly appreciate it as I have become severley depressed over the last couple of years and I don't know how much longer I can take it. I have seen skin specialists and they do not seem to even understand what I am talking about and have repeatedly failed to help.

thanks, Tom
It can be due to dry skin. The mainstay of management is liberal use of moisturizers after washing with luke warm water. Soap should be used minimally. Moisturizers should be reapplied liberally during the day.You can also use a topical cortisone (steroid) cream or ointment like dermacort(hydrocortisone). Adding a humidifier to the central heating system of your home or using a humidifier also helps.

If still the symptoms persisit then possibility of eczema or atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, ichthyosis (fish scale-like skin) or pitted keratolysis is there. Please consult a dermatologist for clinical examination in that case as treatment is specific for each one and without clinical examination, it is difficult to make a diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.