Dermatology Expert Forum
eyelash regrowth

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

eyelash regrowth

When I was a teenager, I had a nervoud habit of pulling on my eyelashes. At one point, they were pretty much all gone. They have since grown back, but are much thinner. Oftentimes they hurt (?) and I will rub them and they will fall out. I don't pull on them like I did when I was a kid, but my fear is that the hair follicles have been damaged and soon they will stop growing in alltogether. Is this something I should fear? Or will they always grow back? How long does an eyelash take to grow in?

Thanks!

If you don't pull or rub them out anymore, they ought to keep growing back, a process which takes several months.  In general, traumatizing follicles won't destroy them, but they can thin somewhat over time of you keep messing with them.  If you can't stop yourself from doing these things, you may want to consult someone for medical or behavior-modification therapy.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
I am writing because my eyelashes are falling out like crazy! I noticed that other people have posted that they used to pull out there eyelashes and they wonder if there are later consequences.
I just recently moved and have been using the same mascara and have been doing the same process, yet I notice that my eyelashes are falling out on a regular basis. I use maybelline amazing lash mascara, an eyelash curler and almay eye make-up remover and baby oil nightly. Is there anything I can do to avoid this, or to help them grow back quicker? They will grow back, right? Any suggests are welcomed! Thank you
My 14-year-old daughter is very alarmed about recent hair loss.  She has complained that she has noticed a few small patches in her scalp that are missing hair and her eyebrows are becoming "patchy".  Her greatest concern is that a contiguous span of approximately 1 cm. of her eyelid is suddenly missing the eyelashes.  She doesn't pull her eyelashes.  As she was applying mascara the other morning, they all just fell out.  I assured her that they'll grow back, but she'd like to know if something more serious is going on.
Wow, I thought I was the only one who had this concern!  I'm 29 years old, and when I was about 13 I developed an obsession with my eyelashes, pulling them out, etc.  This is trichotrillomania (or something like that) and is related to my OCD.

Anyway, I was born with naturally long, thick, dark, curly lashes.  I have managed to tone down the pulling quite a bit (I barely touch the top ones and am drastically cutting down on touching the bottom ones.  Fortunately, despite the years of pulling, they are still extremely long and thick especially when they are all grown in and I haven't pulled them in a while.  However, I don't think they are as curly as they naturally were when I was much younger, and I've always wondered if I damaged the shape of the follicles to cause the lashes to be straighter.  I posted this inquiry many, many months ago and was told that nothing can change the actually shape of follicles and that the curl probably just naturally straightened some with age.

Doctor, or anyone, can you ruin naturally curly hairs by pulling them?  I'd hate to think I did that kind of damage just because I struggle with a nervous condition.

Whatever the answer, I still obsess with my lashes.  I won't go anywhere without curling them with a curler, I'm always staring at them and studying them in a mirror, etc.  Sometimes it's a real struggle to keep my hands away from pulling them.

Thanks for any replies.
THE OTHER DAY I WAS CURLING MY EYELASHES AND A CHUNK OF THEM JUST BROKE OFF ABOUT A mm BEFORE THE ROOT.  HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE TO GROW THEM BACK?
It's reassuring I'm not the only one with this problem, but I'm still very worried!! I'm 18 and I have a bad habit of pulling at my eyelashes and pulling out any loose eyelashes especially when I'm stressed. And today I did this and lots fell out, infact there is now a patch on my right eye that is missing eyelashes. I'm really paranoid about it now, and am really hoping they will grow back! Will they??
I am 29 years old.

I started pulling out my lashes at age 10.  They finally quit growing in altogether about 5 years ago.  Now there are not more than 5 or 6 that grow on either eyelid.  Of course I pluck those with tweezers whenever they are long enough (what would be the use of keeping them at this point).

The lesson: Yes, pulling out your eyelashes will permanently damage the follicles and they WILL stop growing back.  

Just remember some American Indian males used to pluck facial hairs rather than shave until the hair stopped growing back.

Take care all.
i'm a boy aged sixteen, that i tried to put some lotion hair remover on the part that's lower than the eye a little bit, to remove the unwanted hair, it makes me shy , i don't like them, i used the cream hair remover called "Nair" but after 7 minutes of usage, the area turned red(on the cheeks) and it hurts a little, i tried to put some water but that's hurted me more, what can i do, please help me soon, i reffer to you because i don't like to go to the doctor personnally or show my parents what happened, so please please help me and respond to me as soon as possible as you can....
I Thank you very much from now!!!
bye
:(
I pull my eyelashes out, because they hurt. they grow in twisted and crooked and i pull them out. Every once in a while I will get a bare patch that grows back in a week, fully in about 2 weeks. I haven't experienced any harm to the ability for them to grow back. in fact, i can see tiny eyelashes growing in where there is no room. no doubt, these will also be twisted and fall/get pulled out.
NEVER EVER put something like Nair on your eye area. This causes extreme irritation to that sensitive skin. It will take a while to heal now, and you may need to use neosporin or even get antibiotic cream, should an infection occur in the damaged skin's area.
A related discussion, eye lashes was started.
A related discussion, Help! I've lost most of my eyelashes! was started.
A related discussion, Eye Lashes out was started.
A related discussion, Eyelash patch gone was started.
A related discussion, Eyelash and Eyebrow Growth was started.
A related discussion, eyelash pulling was started.
A related discussion, eyelash regrowth was started.
A related discussion, How fast do eyelashes grow back? was started.
A related discussion, EYELASH- was started.
A related discussion, Eyelashes was started.
A related discussion, Do you have beauty tips or secrets? was started.
I have had cance when I was 4years old and when I was 6years old. I have been ill all my life. I'm 23 now and my eyelash are very thin, it looks like I don't have any and my hair is very thin. How can I get my eyelash to grow to grow back thicker?
Help Me,, my eye lashes where annoying me and I plucked half of them of my top left eye lid with tweezers will they grow back??? Please I'm really worried.
Im in a similar situstion...i had a freak accident at dance class last night. Wen we wer doin backward rolls, i accidentally kneed myself in da right eye n wen i hit da floor my eyelashes got stuck between da floor and my tights and wen i went to get up i accidentally ripped out like more den half of my lashes...now im rllllllllly scared der not gonna grow back!!!!!!!
A related discussion, stunt eyelash growth was started.
I will constantly pull out my left top set of eyelashes and some fall out most of the time... After reading all these comments, I'm not going to anymore... When I put on mascara, the left eye ( the one I pick at ) never goes up as high as the other and instead it goes out and sideways.. My mom always tells me that " Eyelashes are sisters, not twins"    But I think its something else. What is it called? Will they ever grow back? How long will it take for them to grow back?
Doctor, anyone, please help me!!! I'm only 12
A related discussion, Grow eyelashes was started.
A related discussion, Eyelashes growth was started.