Dermatology Expert Forum
face red/flaky, no doctors can help

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

face red/flaky, no doctors can help

Hi folks,

I have a skin condition on my face that no doctors seem capable of working out. I've had many harmful creams thrown at me, that only seem to have exacerbated the problem. In fact, any cream that makes contact seems to inflame the area affected - regardless of how "natural" or low on chemicals that cream might be.

I have a blotchy redness that goes from the sides of my mouth, up to my temples (although it's much more prominent in patches than it is one, uniform blanket of redness).

I get little red bumps at its worst, but nothing like I've seen on rosacea sufferers.

The skin on my face gets incredibly dry. I can coat my face in moisturiser, and it will seemingly be absorbed completely in less than an hour and become dry again (this is Diprobase, no less, so quite thick stuff!).

The colour of my face improves if I don't use moisturisers or emolients, and the redness can subside, but very quickly my face will become so dry that it becomes flaky and dandruff-like. I'm caught in a catch-22 in this regard.

The problem affects one side of my face much more harshly than the other - particularly my right cheek bone.

I've researched a lot, but I feel like this problem encompasses elements of a handful of different things, so it's hard to try and pin-point what's going on.

I really do appreciate any help. Thanks.
Thanks for posting your query.

From your symptoms, atopic dermatitis and seborrheic dermatitis are two possibilities which need to be ruled out.

In atopic dermatitis the skin reacts easily to irritants, food, and environmental allergens and becomes very itchy, which leads to scratching, redness, and flaky skin. Seborrheic dermatitis also presents with scaly, flaky, itchy, and red skin.

To differentiate both, you can get a biopsy skin done to confirm the diagnosis. Treatment is dependent on diagnosis. Although steroids, are commonly used for the treatment of atopic dermatitis, there are certain other agents also which are used like immune modulator drugs e.g. tacrolimus. For seborrheic dermatitis, antifungal agents may be used.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.