Dermatology Expert Forum
faces turns red after a few drinks

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

faces turns red after a few drinks
I am of asian descent. I have heard that I lack a certain enzyme
that breaks down alcohol in the blood. That enzyme is aldehyde dehydrogenase. Is there anything that can be taken prior to having a few drinks that would prevent this from happening or
has any company manufactured this particuliar enzyme that can be
taken to put this into my system to keep this from happening?
I think if something to prevent this "asian blushing" were on the market, it could be marketed to millions of asians who suffer from this problem. Please let me know.
Thank you!
I am not aware of any such enzyme.  Many people of varied backgrounds flush when they have alcohol (or other triggers like alcohol and caffeine.)  I know little about alcohol dehydrogenase deficiency, but have not heard that this is a cause of flushing.  Except for avoiding the triggers, I don't know of any way to prevent this.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff