facial rash and honey coloured lip crustration

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Over the last five days I have developed a rash that runs from my eyelids to my lower cheeks, and appears again on my chin.  On the first day I noticed itchiness I also noticed a small patch of dry skin.  As the rash has become worse, my upper lip is now covered in crustrations, some of which are honey coloured.  The rash has died down in itchiness but is swollen especially over my eyes.

I have been to over five doctors now and am waiting to see a dermatologist.. no one seems to know what it is, while some are sure it is an allergic reaction, and that it may be impetigo.  I have been questioned thoroughly and have not used any new creams on my face or tried new perfumes, detergents, soaps, or anything.

Please let me know if you can help me solve this mystery!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Are you taking any medications for this? With the way you describe the skin condition, this sounds like impetigo. "Impetigo starts as a red sore that quickly ruptures, oozes for a few days and then forms a yellowish-brown crust that looks like honey or brown sugar. The disease is highly contagious, and scratching or touching the sores is likely to spread the infection to other parts of the body as well as to other people."

Source:http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/impetigo/DS00464

Impetigo may resolve spontaneously but it may be highly contagious once present. It is best to frequently wash the hands and keep the face clean always. Avoid scratching or unnecessarily touching the face as this may only facilitate the spread of the infection.

You may need oral antibiotics for this. Have you been prescribed any?

I have been prescribed cefprozil and what is around my mouth does sound like it would be impetigo.  How would I have developed this?

As for the rest of my face, the swelling, rashing, itching, and burning... on eyelids cheeks and chin, would that be an effect of having impetigo as well?

thanks for your help!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Yes. Impetigo may spread to other areas of the body as this may spread through direct skin to skin contact. If this is so, then you may need oral antibiotics for this.

Have you been on any oral antibiotics already?
If yes, how did the skin condition respond to this?

Any cuts or nicks on the skin which could have been caused by scratching or any manipulation on the skin may facilitate spread of any bacterial infection. Another differential may be HSV type infection. Have you been assessed also along this line?

Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers