flaky scaly finger tips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

flaky scaly finger tips

Not sure if it's fungus or infection, My boyfriends finger tips are scaly~flaky and they sometimes crack open. He has to wear bandaides on them and put ointment on them or they also hurt if he has his arms down pointing to the ground..increased blood flow. It is on two fingers and just now starting on a third finger. The fingers are red or pinkish in color...They seem very dry or cracked with no ointment on them. Please help, he is not one to go the dr's.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This sounds like case of dermatitis or eczema. Dishydrotic eczema is usually noted in the hands or feet. This may be due to prolonged exposure to water and certain chemicals. It may start as vesicles containing clear fluid. The vesicles may itch and this may affect areas of normal skin. Dishydrotic eczema thins the skin and makes it fragile. Irritant or xerotic eczema is another differential here. This form of eczema is due to exposures to certain irritants which may dry the skin. The scales may be subjected to KOH examination just to rule out a fungal infection.

Avoid washing the hands frequently. Use only a mild cleanser to wash the hands .Also, keep the hands and fingers clean and moisturized to avoid further irritation.
Until I hear more, all I can guess is to drink some Vita Coco water.  I don't know what fungi would have come from.  If it's inside your body, mushroom supplements and Wild Oregano Oil will help.
Well, actually, I don't know about the mushroom and oregano thing.  Somebody else had said it could have been fungus, so I just said that.  Ask me something else.  Is it from the Winter air??
I can tell where I made a mistake.  This 'page' is from over 3 years ago.  Needless to say, I just woke up.