flat wart on finger

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

flat wart on finger

I've had this flat wart on my finger for a while now. Just one tiny one that hasn't spread to another part of my body and I plan on getting cream for it at the pharmacy. I have a few questions about transmission though. My boyfriend recently developed a weird rash on his hands. He has a bunch of little flesh-colored bumps spread out over his hands (mostly fingers) and nickel sized patches of scaly skin. Could my one little wart have caused a huge outbreak on his hands? He went to a doctor in Tijuana and they told him he has athlete's foot on his hands. Does his symptoms sound typical of athlete's foot of the hands?  

Also, I just wanted to ask about chances of transmission. Could my wart transmit to his genitals, and his athlete's foot (or whatever) transmit to mine? Thanks!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi.

Warts are caused by the HPV virus and there are hundreds of subtypes of this virus. Each type has a predilection to certain body parts . Common warts found on the hands may not readily spread to the genitals. However, genital warts may be readily transmitted to other parts of the body. Although, there are several factors to be considered here such as the immune response of the patient, the viral load, the frequency of the contact and the area affected. Avoiding frequent skin to skin contact may help prevent transmission. Also, treating the wart will help prevent its spread to other areas of the body.

As for the fungal infection, this may be a separate case. I do not think this is related to your own concern. Fungal  infections may also spread through direct skin to skin contact and may be transmitted to other parts of the body. Not all persons exposed to the said skin condition may actually acquire the infection.

Treating the skin condition is the best way to avoid spread.