Dermatology Expert Forum
forehead and eyes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

forehead and eyes

A couple of weeks ago I had a small rash area on my upper thigh.  It was a pink color and raised with a burning sinsation. A week or so later I noticed my right eye felt as though it had sandpaper behind the lid.  I had some drops left from an earlier eye infection ( from a year or so ago ) so I started using them.  The eye didn't seem to get much better and last Friday I had several little knots form on my foreheadat my hairline, my eye was still running too.  I went to the doctor on Monday and he said it appeared to be bacterial infection. He gave me CEPHALEXIN 500MG CAPSULES, which I am to take every six hours for six days.  I started on them asap, however, a day later the knots on my forehead began to appear as little blisters and then into a raw spot about the size of a penny. Another spot appeared above my right eye.  Neither of these have hurt.  They did burn or sting some shortly after they appeared.  I returned to the Doctor the next morning and he said it appeared to be SHINGLES He then gave me 21 OF VALTREX 1 GM CAPLETS, to be taken three times a day for seven days. That was Tues. afternoon I've taken nine of the Caplets to date.  Friday the Doctor called me and wanted me to come by the office, when I arrived he gave me an eye exam. Even though the swelling in my right eye was present and almost closed I still had 20/20. He told me at that time it was DEFINITELY SHINGLES.  This morning (Saturday) when I awaken, the swelling in the right eye was still there and now my left eye was showing signs of the same thing.  The distance between my two eyes now is almost twice the normal. The right eye is still watering the left just swelling.  I have no pain and no fever.  I look like the Hulk from the nose up.  I like to think of myself as healty but over weight.  5'11" 260lbs blood pressure runs a little high on the bottom 127 / 94.
Blisters above the right eye could indeed be shingles.  Shingles is also known as zoster, and represents a recurrence of the chickenpox virus, which hides in a nerve root and recurs in whatever nerve it's been hiding in.  The swelling is compatible with  that.  Shingles is always only on one side of the body, but you may just be seeing some swelling from the right side crossing over to the left.  I can see no connection with the thigh rash you had a couple of weeks ago.

I would advise a visit to the ophthalmologist to be sure there is no eye involvement, even though your doctor has used the correct medication.

Once this heals, you should be fine.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
1 Comment
A related discussion, Little blisters on end of eye brow on left eye..... was started.