Dermatology Expert Forum
forehead only rash, acne, allergic reaction?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

I'm 32 yrs. old and have been getting a rash that appears like acne on my forehead after being outside in the sun. This only began about a yr. ago and seems to happen after doing yard work or laying at the beach. Here is how it starts to begin...after being outside my forehead gets tight (but not itchy or burning) and then it gets red blotchy looking, and then it gets bumpy and then the bumps turn into what looks like millions of little whiteheads overlapping each other. This happens very quickly (3-5 hours) and goes away with in 3-4 days, I don't get a fever or experience any other problems while this happens. I've seen a dermatoligist and was perscribed a steriod cream and allergy medicine but was told they were unsure of what it was..the cream and medicine didn't seem to help. I have fair skin and have never had problems like this before last year. I have no known allergies and have spent many years sweating in the sun without any problems. I am not on any medications. I was reccomened ampicilian and it may have helped some but not really sure. Once again..this breakout only happens on my forehead where not even bangs touch and it never spreads. I look forward to any suggestions on preventing this outbreak, treating it when it does happen, or at least finding out what it is and what is causing it. Thank You.
  • Forehead Acne (3 replies):
    I am 22 years old and I am trying to figure out my acne....[more]
  • sun allergy (16 replies):
    i went to the doctor with a rash that appeared on my che...[more]
  • sun rash (9 replies):
    Hi Dr. Is it possible to develop an allergic type of ra...[more]
  • Acne in forehead (1 replies):
    hi, I got acne in my late 16. im 21 now and still have a...[more]
  • Sun Allergy (11 replies):
    I realize that sun allergy has been discussed, and I did...[more]
Not sure.  Some people get an allertic reaction to the long ultraviolet rays of the sun (UVA).  These are not blocked by regular sunscreens.  The appearance of what people call "sun poisonong" is similar to what you describe, only it's usuallly all over (arms, chest), not just the forehead.  Prevention is hard, but taking an antihistamine (Benadryl, chlortrimeton, or Rx types) one hour before going to the beach, and applying a sunscreen with UVA protection may help.  Steroid creams help it go away.

This reaction has nothing to do with sun damage or skin cancer--it's just annoying.

Why not take a good-quality picture of the rash in its full glory and show it to the doctor for another opinion?

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
Please let me know if anyone has let you know what is causing the rash. I have the same problem.

A related discussion, Forehead break out after being in sun was started.