foreskin redness

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

foreskin redness

i am uncircumsized and have some redness on my foreskin. i have tried treatment with lotrimin af, and the redness almost goes away but then comes back. what should i do, are there any stronger over the counter treatments i can try to get rid of this? i'm assuming its balanitis since it responds to the lotrimin but just won't quite fully go away.
It can be due to balanitis skin. Oral course of antibiotics is needed. In addition, don’t use any cosmetics on the penis, instead use some topical antimicrobials like Bacitracin or Lotrimin. Also corticosteroids and topical immunosuppressants can be used but they are available under prescription. Also retract the foreskin daily and soak in warm water to clean penis and foreskin. In case the symptoms persist then please consult a urologist/dermatologist for evaluation and antimicrobials and steroids prescription.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I've been using lotrimin for almost two weeks now, at first it appeared to make a difference, and then slowly it stopped working and the foreskin is getting redder again. Should I just assume I need something stronger and schedule a doctor's appointment?
If Lotrimin initially showed some effect but not at the moment then get an examination done from a dermatologist so as to confirm the diagnosis and then starting with the particular treatment.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers