Dermatology Expert Forum
"freckles" after sunburn
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

"freckles" after sunburn

I had a moderately severe sunburn on my shoulders nearly a month ago (almost bad enough to blister but not quite) and I've noticed that the "freckles"/discolorations are still largely present, with only a few of them having begun to fade. Usually they seem to fade more quickly than that. How long should I wait for them to fully fade or should I already be concerned? I'm 34, fair skinned, with a multitude of moles that I had checked about 2 months ago & all were ok.
1 Comment
Blank
563773_tn?1374250139
Hello,
Thank for posting your query.

These discolorations can be due to freckles after sunburns. Thee are basically found on the chest and upper shoulders and are darker, have irregular jagged borders, and may be larger than a pencil eraser. They develop when the skin produces more melanin pigment in response to the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays.

Without treatment, this usually takes about 6 months to resolve and for the skin color to go back to its normal color.  Then there are several topical creams like retinoids and topical bleaching creams but they are not without side effects and should be used under medical guidance.

Topical treatments with acids and chemical peels can be effective but can take a while for the skin to totally revert to its normal color.  Microdermabrasion can also be done, but this might require several sessions.

Intense Pulsed Light treatments and laser treatments are other treatment options.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Wishing you good health.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank