frustrated!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

frustrated!

...for the past two weeks i have had a rash located at the bend  (not in the bend) of my elbows towards the front of my arms...it is very itchy and i have itched it to the point of scabbing...it has spread up my biceps minimal....and now i have noticed  very small patches on my sides...i have tried anti itch creams and they burn...also...my fiance has not "caught" it...what could this be?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.
I can confirm the exact cause of your rash only after I examine you. The common possibilities are contact dermatitis, irritant or allergic after exposure to any allergen. Poison ivy, hives, shingles, eczema are few other possibilities. Avoid scratching as it can lead to secondary infection and scarring. Take an antihistamine like hydroxyzine for relief in itching. See a dermatologist. Treatment will depend on the specific cause. I hope you find this information useful. Do keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!