Dermatology Expert Forum
fungal infection on fingertips

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

fungal infection on fingertips

I have had a fungus on my fingertips, under my nails and sometimes on my palms for almost a year now. I went to our local general doc and he gave me Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate cream, USP.  That did not work at all.  I saw a second doc and with my childhood history of ecxema (spell?) he prescribed two other creams Daivonex and Dermovate along with an oral med Diflucan 4 doses(for yeast infections).  This seemed to work but I am breaking out again.  It is pretty painful and now I am getting itchy bumps on my feet and shins?? I work in the restaurant industry and I try to keep my hands as dry as possible. I have noticed that my fingers and palms look more yellow than pink (thier original color).  Do you have any suggestions on how to remedy this?  It starts out as little watery looking bumps that have a  yellow cast in the center, then the bumps break and crack the skin open and is itchy and painful.  These bumps have only broken out on my hands.. not on my shins or feet.  Any suggestions?  I also live in a tropical enviroment with lots of humidity.  I am 35 years old and have not had ecxema since I was about 13.  Thanks.
I think you have dyshidrotic ecmaea, not fungus.  This form of eczema produces the kind of small blisters you describe.  Cause is unknown.  You treat the symptoms as they arise.  Mostly, cortisone (steroid) creams are used, though there are now alternatives.  You doctor can recommend others if needed.  All such creams can do is make the condition better--it recurs when it wishes, and must be treated again.  In time, it often goes away, sometimes for long periods.

I can't explain the color change.  Perhaps a skin doctor can do so at a visit.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff
I have these weird, randomly appearing holes/bubbles/bumps under the skin on my fingertips. They aren't raised and they appear in clusters. They eventually go away on their own after a week or two and ocassionally itch. They can be "popped" and clear oe yellow puss comes out. I was wondering if these are the types of "blisters" you were reffering to. If not, do you have any idea what they are and how they can be treated? thanks.
I also have a situation on my fingertips. Peeling white bubbles of the skin. When they peel, the skin beneath is red and sore and seemes fissured with little wrinkles.  I assumed a fungal infection and have been using lamisil for a week with no marked results.  It usually starts on the sides of the finger and spreads around up to the nail (but not under the nail, and also around to the pad of the finger. It can be painful at times, and not so at others. This also happened a couple of years ago and persisted for months untreated, and then eventually went away. Any ideas?
A related discussion, clear bubbles under my palm was started.
A related discussion, cracked skin on the thumb and nail maybe fungusy? was started.