Dermatology Expert Forum
fungus on body
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

fungus on body

Hi Dr.I'm flipping out here. I met a girl who had these whites spots on her arms and it looked like when skin peels from a sunburn so I asked her if she was peeling from a sunburn she said no that its a recurrent fungus that she caught a long time ago from a sun tanning bed, Please tell me if this happens and also if it does is it contagious if my skin or mucous membrane skin comes into contact with these white spots ("fungus"??) on her body, please note she said her doctor told her she just needs to use foot fungus cream when these spots appear. Im not sure if she is telling the truth about any doctor though, please help to clarify this does this sound all made up, what is this **** on her skin, any guesses if shes telling the truth or not,  im very weirded out over this, thanks for your help.
Related Discussions
242489_tn?1210500813
Her story sounds perfectly correct.  Tinea versicolor is what it's called.  The fungus lives in the follicles, but you can't always see it.  It is not the same kind of fungus as foot fungus, bit does respond to the same creams, although it can take a long time for the light spots to even out.  It is not contagious.  It is very common and could happen to anyone.  Even you.  But not from catching it from her.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
4 Comments
Blank
thank you so much for clarifying this for me Dr. I love this website its the best source of information anywhere.
Blank
Oh 1 more thing Dr. how does one catch this? Is getting this from a sun tanning bed possible??? Thanks again.
Blank
Dear Dr. my son some years ago had a red spot (round) at the center of the chest. We showed to the Dr. and under violet light the Dr.showed us white lines from the chest to the two sides towards the arms. Some cream and anti biotics were prescribed by the Dr. and it seems all is well. Now again I can see that red circle. Can you tell me what it is and is it dangerous - life threatening.
Regards,
Abdul Rauf Kashmiri
E-mail address:  ***@****
Blank
A related discussion, Fungal or diabetic related? was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
563773_tn?1374250139
Bhupinder Kaur, MDBlank
Private practice
351246_tn?1379685732
Dr. Kokil MathurBlank
Consultant
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker