generalized itchy rash
My husband ( 34 years old) has been suffering from an itchy rash. It appeared out of nowhere a few weeks ago.  We haven't changed anything recently such as his diet, soaps, detergent, etc.  The rash is symmetrical, over the torso, thighs, and arms.  It's pink tiny raised bumps that itch quite badly.  Enough to cause sleeping disturbance.  No welts, hives, no drainage, not crusty looking.  It doesn't resemble pimples.  Just very tiny little bumps everywhere.  The closest I can think to describe it is it looks like a bumpy heat rash, very uniform.  He seen a dermatologist after the first week of this and was told that "due to it being symmetrical, it must have been something he injested".  Although I know self diagnosis via the internet is by no means perfect, most reputable sites I've researched ( I have spent days on end going through websites) have said more about a symmetrical rash being viral.  This Dermatologist prescribed 3 weeks of low dosage prednisone and a topical cream (sarna/triam 0.1%).  It seems my husband has a bad reaction to corticosteroids (not the first time getting prescribed them) which results in his becoming fatigued, very tense and irritable almost to a psychosis state, sleepless, and he has muscle fatigue and pain as well as a sudden intolerance of heat which results in him almost passing out.  He stopped taking it after one week as he couldn't function like that obviously.  The topical appeared to do more good.  The rash went away for about 2 weeks but returned quickly in the past 2 days.  It appears that the rash returned shortly after he ran out of the topical.  We're terrified that he may need to go back on the prednisone or something similar.  He has tried taking different OTC allergy meds and nothing seemes to work.  We've tried lotions, calamine, etc.  We can't afford repeated visits to the dermatologist and any info to help give us some direction in the event we have to go back would be appreciated.  So, any ideas what may be the cause, or anything we can do to help alleviate his itching while we wait for it to go away on it's own if that's the type of rash it is?
Thank You.
Since the itchy rash has been confined to these areas only and not spread, so definitely it sounds like viral rash or contact dermatitis. Your husband should take antihistaminics and apply calamine lotion on the rashes. He should also consult a dermatologist and get evaluated for other causes like scabies, liver disease or urticaria.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.