genetic thick dry skin on hands and feet
My fiance has very thick dry skin on the palms of his hands and the bottoms of his feet; it's like the whole palm or sole is callussed. I know it's genetic, almost everyone on that side of the family have it. What is it?
There can be many causes of such thick skin on the palms and soles. These include keratoderma, achalasia, dermatopathia pigmentosa reticularis(rare syndrome characterized mainly by increased skin pigmentation, thickened skin on palms and soles and reduced sweating), icthyosis or palmoplantar keratoderma.

To confirm the diagnosis please get it evaluated from a dermatologist.

Hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Did you figure out what it was? I have something similar on my feet but can't seem to get to the bottom of it - thanks!
Hello

I have the genitic condition too, i was born with this, my mum has it and her father had it, i have another sister who has it too, my other siblings didnt get it..I have it on the souls of my feet, and palms of my hand, its hard and appers cracked and dry, i have to scrub  it and use a good oil or cream to keep it less dry etc, appartently the skin grows about 100% faster then , it peels about twice a year, my mum found out the real name for it, so i will try and get back to you this, another  family member who has has tried to track its history. People often ask me what it is and think its just dry skin not genetic, it would be good to get rid of it, specially come summer and wearing heels, but if i keep up the scrubbing etc,someitimes you can hardly notice, a pediastrist can also scrub away the skin, on a funny note in my family i can hold hot things longer then others, but i too would like to know more, and if it can be fixed.
This condition is common on my husbands side of the family. I'm researching it, and trying to help him treat it. I'm curious to know if you have curly hair. It seems that the people affected in our family all have curly hair. Straight haired members aren't affected. Weird genetics, huh?!?
I have the same thing. I got it from my dad and he got it from his mom. My aunts and uncles have it to. It skips arouind in our family, not everyone has it. Some gals some guys and some only have it on teh feet others only on their hands. Makes me wonder if everyone that has this are related closer than we think.
Hi guys,

I have it too! has anyone come up with a name for it?

My great granni had it, my great dad, my mom and me ( and a couple of other ppl in my family).
To keep it clean and not too noticeable I do have to scrubb, exfoliate and moisturize as often as possible, not a big deal,  I am used to, been doing it for the last 25years. (I am black female , with afro textured hair).

Please keep us posted if you find a name. Thanks

I have had severely rough hands since I left the womb. It is so embarrassing to be a female with hands rougher than most men.  Over my years I have been the test dummy for out of this world hand treatments and lotion concoctions.  Some of the products worked well & softened my hands for about 15mins TOPS & I was back to the rough, dry hands I had before the treatments.  I thought all hope was lost until tonight!!  I started reserching injections wondering if there was something that could stimulate the glands in my hands to produce more natural moisture... I did not find any such thing.  After a failed research attempt, I snatched my unused pedicure wand that includes a brush, a file, pumice stone, and a smoothing buffer & I went @ my hands!  I worked my way from the file, to the stone, & then buffed it smooth, as if I was working on one of my furniture pieces or sculptures.  It was a life changing decision.  I am sure my hands won't be a soft as the person naturally blessed with them, but the miraculous difference has me feeling as if I am!!! the exfoliation & thick lotion actually absorbs into my hands rather than not making it through all the thick layers I had before.  I realized that even when well moisturized the texture of my hands were still rough, so the buffing treatment worked wonders!  I highly recommend it!!!!  Just buff according to your tolerance & what is appropriate for your skin.  Don't buff your hands off & cause soreness & other issues.  Gently buff, exfoliate, and moisturize & feel the dramatic transformation!!!
I too was born with this condition I have it on both my hands and feet.  My father had it and his mother had it.  They both had Curly hair, my Daughter does not have this condition and neither does my grandson, both my daughter and grandson have straight hair I have very curly hair I have natural ringlets of curls all over.  The only thing that has made an improvement in my skin condition is moving to Florida!  I lived in the Midwest growing up and my hands were so Brown and rough no matter what I was given to use.  After moving to Florida my hands are much better more natural color and much softer than when I lived in the Midwest. Every time I go back to visit family my hands revert back to the rough dark brown color within a few days living in a humid environment helps a lot so for those searching for a cure don't waste your time but to help your situation get maybe use of a humidifier could help improve if you live in a dry climate area. I've learn to live and love my hands now the way they are I don't burn myself picking up hot items after all. lol
Wow I cannot believe how many peoplle have this! I too have the rough thick layer of skin on my hands and feet! I got it from my father and I also passed it to my son. We all have curly hair! I'm amazed how many have it I seriously thought I was alone! I wish someone had an idea what its called! Everyone asks me and sometimes its embarissing :-( but I'm getting more confident :-) I hope someone comes up with an answer! But for now let's all be proud of what god gave us! Although it is a pain to take care of!
It's called palmoplantar keratoderma. I have it and it runs in my family too, but fortunately none of my 3 children have it.  Luck of the draw, I guess.
First, reading all of those who have this condition was like looking into a mirror.  I too have have had this condition on my hands and feet since birth.  My mother has it and her father as well.

Second, as far as managing it, I went to a dermatologist in my teens who prescribed an lotion with a very small amount of acid in it.  I do not recall the name of this.  While the lotion did actually work, made the skin thinner and thinner, it had a bit of a side affect.  This affect was the skin around the callus peeled.  At most times my hands still looked terrible  so I stopped using it.  For most of my life I have used a porous stone in the shower and one lotion after another.  

I have however found a combination that will get you as close to having normal hands and feet as you may have come across.  I first use a power tool called a Dremel.  These usually come with an assortment of attachments. I use the round, cylinder shaped, sand paper bit.  The model Dremel I have is one that plugs in, costs around $50 U.S. dollars.  I have tried the rechargeable ones, burnt both out from use on my hands and feet.  The one with a cord has been running strong for a few years now.  For those of you who do not know what Dremel is it is a big brand name, been around a long time.  For the ladies who get manicures you may have seen this and had it used on you around the finger tips.  I do caution to be careful with these, you have to keep the Dremel moving around or it can get hot and burn you.  The other is watching how close you get to normal skin, at the high speeds the tool works at you can give yourself a nice little cut.  I have done this a few times, nothing serious, but only when doing my feet.  I also recommend that if you can do this outside and plan on showering afterwards.  It is not the cleanest thing to do for sure.  You will try and go farther and farther seeing just how much skin you can get rid of, you will find a comfort level.  After using the tool and showering I use Eucerin's Original Healing Soothing Lotion once and Jergen's Ultra Healing hand lotion when needed after that.  I have tried one lotion after another and the biggest problem I always had with most is it seemed to just put a greasy coating on top of the skin that never really seeped in.  With these two lotions that has not been the case, they feel like they really seeped into the skin.  

This will not cure it by any  means but I can promise you that your hands and feet will have never looked and felt this good ever.  I do this about once a week with the Dremel on my hands and on my feet as needed(more during the warmer months).  I am sharing this info with you because I know what it is like to shake a person's hand and have them ask me if I work construction.                

Hi Madam,

can you please explain me briefly... I am suffering a lot,
I couldn't get the terminology.

Awaiting your response.
Hi All,

Please explain me how to get rid of this and let me know the creams you used and any plastic surgery for this......

I have this condition, passed down from my grand mother, my mother then me. After my mom had me and my sister who came after me, the next three did not have it. The doctors put her on a prescription of Fulcin  and B - complex during her pregnancy (through out). The 3 children for whom she had this medication did not have the condition. My first girl does not have it, but the boy that came after her does (only the pressured areas of his feet). I remember being on some antibiotic medication just about the time my wife got pregnant for the girl.
I too have this . They say it affects people of European descent or African Americans. I have traced it back a couple of generations. I have scrapped and filed and grated the bottom of my feet for years. My hands are calloused as well. Very hard for me to wash hands a lot because I develop small blisters under the skin that itch. Two out of three of my kids have it and yes have curly hair. My last names that this is attached to are Martin, White,and maybe Reuch
Just wanted to let you guys know that my husband has this as well. He was born with it. He uses Triple Lanolin (original scent, tan bottle) and in the summer we do a lot of swimming and fishing so his feet look normal after a day in the water. You can't get rid of it, it is genetic. Just keep your hand moisturized and it's easy to live with. He has issues when he knicks his hand and the callous takes over so he has it on his knuckles and ankles too. He got it from his dad and his uncle and grammy have it as well. He's germanic and french descent (on his dad's side) and is originally from Minnesota. He has brown hair that curls at the end but I wouldn't call his hair "curly". Kind of like when you have straight hair and use a pony tail a lot and it curls your hair as it grows out. I know we have a chance of passing this on to our kids, but it's liveable.

When people ask him what it is, he calls it a birth mark. People are facinated when he can pick up hot stones, and put out cigarettes on his hand (when he smoked) and brush away all evidence! Just don't try to get finger printed. It changes every day.
hello..  I am  a girl . soon getting married.  But unfortunately i too have this keratoderma palmoplanter  condition :(  I read your comment. I will b very happy if u can help me in some way regarding this. Actually i wanted to to that in future i do not want this condition to pass in my children too. i would like to know what medineor treatment has ur wife taken during pregnancy ..so that it did not get pass? waiting eagerly for your reply. hope u will help me. thank you.
I have this too..it's taken me years, but now I actually like it- and I encourage every "sufferer" to think of themslves as lucky- a few times in my life I shaved the skin on my feet to "normal" and walked on stones or hot things- it hurt!! and we can pick up hot pans or plates and not get burned, I pick up broken glass , everyone yells,"don't do it!" but I've never been cut. I prefer now to think of it as an evolutionary blessing than a genetic curse. As a woman it has not always been easy to explain to men whose hands I've held, but I've found that really most don't give a damn if the rest of you is in good shape. I have used stones on my feet and hands since I was a child to keep them smooth, and when I do a good job no one notices, just the color will never be the same as "normal" hands. But I don't mind- one other nice thing - if you take good care of them, they will always look the same "age" as when you were a child, unlike most people whose bottoms of feet and hands get wrinkly and pruny with age!! so, ha! :)))
Oh. I thought i was the only person who has this condition. And yes,i'm a girl which makes it harder for me. Guys' hands are even softer than mine. :( Btw, I'm Asian.
I am a women that also has the callus on my hands and feet. I do not like how it looks or feels, I have tried so many different treatments, it makes it better for a short time. I inherited it my from my Dad,my bother also has it. I had five Children, out of the five two have it. I wished all my life I did not have it. I have went to so many doctors to see if it can be cured? There is none. I have 15 Grandchildren, 4 have it from the Son and Daughter that have it. I wished taking something from pregnancy would of prevented it. My Dad remarried and had a Girl and Boy, but they were lucky it passed them by. People have told me this? God made you the way he wanted you. I love God and believe in him with all my heart, but I can not ever say I am happy he gave it to me. Oh well it is what it is.
I too have the same condition, i've been doing research on it trying to understand the cause of it and gain little understanding of myself. I am 33 year old male and i was born with it, i believe its from my fathers side as none of my mothers family has it. I've been very negative about it in the begining but then i began to appreciate who i am with a positive attitude, i was teased alot as a kid and often called "double skin" in school and this has affected my social life growing up. These days i just dont care what others think of me, i told myself i am unique - a positive mindset. However, i do sometimes wish i was normal, thankyou for some of the suggestions made here in terms of controlling the thickened skin.
I have curly hair and I think I may have it... You may be onto something
omg !!!me too. I had always blamed it on the rough jobs I had. bricklaying and constant driving. but the truth was, that this was an issue long before I was even grown. I hate to touch men or give hand shakes. or even people. I notice the difference in the texture of our hands instantly. recently ive found that if I just use regular fine sand paper it will smooth them completely out, like a babies bottom. its annoying but it works.
I have this too. It our family it affects every other child. I've been to several dermatologists from Southern California to Western Washington State. All have said they have not seen condition before. I've been diagnosed with Hyperkaratosis or ichthyosis. The treatment for hyperatratosis was urea cream with did nothing at all. I noticed my palms and soles get a little smoother and don't get as peely on the sides and around my finger nails if I'm in the chlorinated swimming pool a lot. This is coincidental with a treatment for the  ichthyosis. I do like that I can grab hot things and not get burned but the condition is a lot of maintance to sand and moisturize. I would like to know exactly what it is as well.
I have this samething and I'm so glad to hear other people with it. I'm a black male and have had the feet problem from a kid to the point at times I couldn't walk to school without crying, eventually my feet would soften from the heat. Recently like in the last 12 years my handds have developed it! it feels like I'm wearing some sorta rough glove so at times I go to town peeling it away...and what seems like seconds my hands grow another layer it's kinda comical, the amount of dead skin that I'm able to peel away without it bleeding...I notice whenever I DRINK TEQUILLA, the following days my hands and feet are much softer...it's like a magic...a shot of tequilla and my hands are soft almost gone but you can't drink tequilla everyday so what do I do?
I think I am the wrench in the curly hair theory.  I have had this condition for as long as I can remember on my palms and feet, but my hair is dead straight (stubbornly refuses to hold even a wave!).

I am a 31yo single female (white) and have found myself becoming more self conscious of it in recent years.  As a kid it was never an issue, other kids thought it was cool I could push a needle through my skin and not feel it!  I am glad I have finally got a name though, I met a dermatologist years ago who identified it straight away, but I was there for another issue and then promptly forgot the name.
This condition runs in my family, from my father's side. My older brother and I have it, my younger brother does not. My dad and one of his brothers have it, his other two siblings do not. My grandma has it, she's an only child. And my great grandfather had it, he's an only child. None of us have curly hair.

I'm not sure if I'm just the luckiest of all, but I wouldn't want to cure/treat/remove this condition if it was as simple as a one time lotion application. I love it, and consider it a blessing. I like to think we're just a little bit more evolved than the "normal" people. While it may have some disadvantages (mostly just do to the fact that most tools and products in this world are designed for regular hands to use them, which can be solved by simply wearing gloves) I've found it has many bonuses. It's heat resistant, which comes in handy when you're a chef. I don't even need to use oven mitts that often anymore. I've never gotten a paper cut or a blister. The coolest thing I've found is that my hands never scar. I've sliced through the palm of my hands many many times in my life, but no one would ever know because they not only heal faster than most people, but they always heal perfectly without a trace. These things make a little bit of cracking in the winter and poor grip on smooth surfaces like glass/plastic/metal worth it.
I would like more info on what its called, if anything. All I know is it came from the Scottish side of my family, and there's about a 50/50 chance of passing it to children.
I'm a 40 year old black female with the same problem, I've dealt with it my whole life. The palm of my hands and the soles of my feet. I've tried many things, the best solution for me has been the PED EGG. I use it on my feet about once e very 3 weeks. It takes about 30 minutes per foot, you just have to scrub until you get as much dead skin off as you can want. Do this while your feet are DRY. Much better results than wet. Afterwards shower then apply a thin coat of vasaline to your feet, also put socks on for a while. The socks help the vasaline do it's job. Also, for hands and feet ALWAYS apply a very thin layer of vasaline every time you get them wet. I rub it in really good then wipe the excess away with a paper towel. If you stick to this you should have better results than lotions. I've been to lots of doctors and could never get a good ready for the dryness, this has worked for me for years, before the PED EGG I would actually have to peel the skin from my feet by hand after soaking them, which was horrible. I got it from my dad's side, and it skipped my two daughters and my son got it. I've been married 20 years now to a very understanding man, but even tho my hands feel really close to normal, I'm still embarrassed to touch his bare skin. Does any other married person feel the same way?
It is surprising how encouraging and relieving it is to read that most people have this condition. I often always feel like we are just one out of a million people with this condition. it is annoying that i am a lady with chapped hands but what can i say, i have learnt to embrace it. I am particularly carefree and so i forget to even take extra effort like using moisturiser religiously. But its good to know that others have this condition. if i am going to pass it to my children il rather prefer to pass it to the male children than the female ones. BUT if i can avoid it then i wouldn't want any of my children to have to go through this HARD palms genetics.
I have excess skin development that appears as thicke layers of calluses on both palms of my hands and soles of my feet. The condition is called Palmo-plantar keratoderma.  It is caused by a genetic mutation of the keratin gene that is responsible for skin cell production.  I have tried Vaseline which can be great only for cracks.  Other than that it dries the hell out of my hands.  I always moisturize my feet with Vaseline and wear 100% cotton socks and rarely wear sandals.  The recent struggles have been my hands.  I work on a computer all day and it has progressed quickly.  Cocoa butter works best over urea cream based and every other product I tried out there which includes Glycerin/O'Keefe for construction hands/Topical Cortisteriods/5% glycolic acid with Vaseline/Coconut Oil/Olive Oil and even prayers etc. Of course it never helps living in a dry climate place. I will be looking soon into Lanolin cream and see that works.  To avoid the debilitating issue, I use a nail clipper and stay on top of the layering.  So far so good! As for the feet I let it buildup and then visit the podiatrist who peels it off like a potato! I don't have kids but my dermatologist informed me there is 50% chance of passing it down if both parents have it.  As per my family history I am the only blessed one to have this.  It concerns me as I am only 25 and super ambitious and knowing my career might be an obstacle when this becomes a bigger issue.  If anyone has tips on how to manage it that would be lovely.  I've done my share :)
Hey!  Has the lanolin cream been working well for him?  I'm considering of investing in some!  Hope to hear from you soon....