Dermatology Expert Forum
genital folliculitis
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

genital folliculitis

im a 40 yr old male with no past problems with stds or acne. This problem started 2 yrs ago.A few days after some sexual activity[protected intercourse & unprotected oral]I noticed pimple like blisters [3-4] on one side of my scrotum.The whole infection was no bigger than the size of a dime. It eventually went away only to reappear 3 months later on the lower shaft of my penis.This time I saw a dermatoligist who quickly diagnosed it as folliculitis and gave me a cream that cleared all problems up quickly [5-7days].He seemed to think this was due to shaving to closely in this area.Also suggested better hygene.

Since then I have stayed away from a close shave down there and try to practice better hygene.Howerver I still get this folliculiti but not as often[8 months apart].It only appears on the lower bottom side of the shaft usually in the company of hair follicules.No other health issues co-inside with this other than some anxiety.

It kind of reminds of herpes due to the reoccuring nature of the infection.
Are there distinguishing differences between folliculitis and herpes? Is this common for folliculitis to reoccur like this?

any help is appreciated.