genital warts or fordyce spots

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

genital warts or fordyce spots

6796800?1301959275
so i went into the doctor about 6 months ago because i noticed some bumps on my penis that were rather small but were fairly evident when i stretched the skin over them. I am pretty sure that i have always had little bumps like this here and there on my penis. however i didnt really take notice of them until i got std tested for the first time. my doctor looked at them and said he didnt think that they were warts, but most like fordyce spots. well i am a natural worrier so even though he "cleared" me so to speak i still worry they could be warts. I have a girlfriend whom i havent had sex with because im afraid i could have warts... could you plase take a look and let me know what you think? it has been driving me crazy trying to figure it out...

They look like Fordyce spots to me. They are small, painless, raised, pale or white spots or bumps 1 to 3 mm in diameter that may appear on the shaft of the penis. The spots are a form of ectopic sebaceous gland, and are not known to be associated with any disease or illness and are of cosmetic concern only. They are non-infectious and a natural occurrence on the body.

They should be got removed only for cosmetic reasons as they are normally found on the penis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

thanks for your help doctor!! im about 95% sure that they are fordyce spots as my doctor thought so and i havent had sexual activity in about 16 months.. i just wanted another opinion to help put my mind at rest. thank you for all all your help doctor and i will keep you posted if anything changes!
i have a couple more questions on the subject if you would be so kind as to shed some light on it for me... my first question is, how do you differentiate a genital wart from a fordyce spot? and is it possible for them to just appear one day? it seems i have more than i used to (i may have just not noticed before since i wasnt sexually active) im just trying to get some more information on them...
Fordyce spots effect young men and appear as bright red or purple papules that can appear on the penis or scrotum. They may occur as a solitary lesion, but frequently appear in crops of 50 to 100. Genital warts may be flat, smooth, pearly, cauliflower-like, or rough with a slightly dark surface.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.