Dermatology Expert Forum
granuloma anulare

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

granuloma anulare

I have had granuloma anulare for over 6 years.  Is there anything new to give me some relief?  I have had several injections of Kenalog in the past and have had great relief, but only temporary and I am afraid of side effects.  It is on my neck, arms and torso. In the past I have had it on my hands, legs and feet also. Would this Moms Eczema Cure help or would skin zinc help? I am willing to try most anything about now. I have been toldby three doctors that the cause is unknown and there is no cure.  Hoping there is something new.
Thank you.   Sincerely, HpyBtm
There isn't anything new, but you should be able to get relief from injections of steroids (no real risk to worry about), or else topically applied steroids, either alone or under plastic wrap.  Zinc will probably not do much.  Most granuloma annulare has no symptoms besides appearance.  It may go into remission on its own in time.  But if it bothers you, you shouldn't hesitate to have it treated.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff
IT SEEMS TO BE ACCOMPANIED WITH VERY SORE JOINTS WHEN I HAVE A SEVERE OUTBREAK.  IS THIS COMMON? WHAT ABOUT MOM'S ECZEMA CURE? THANK YOU.
SINCERELY,  HAPPY BOTTOM
No, it's not.  The joints must be something else--ask a doctor.  As for Mom's Eczema Cure, you'll need to ask Mom, but granuloma annulare is very different from eczema, so I doubt it would help.

Dr. Rockoff
In 1998, I was diagnosed also with granuloma anulare. It showed up first on my elbow and looked like a ringworm. It then faded and showed up on both ankles, plus various other areas. I had it biopsied at this time, and that confirmed my Dr's diagnosis as granuloma anular. I was also told it's cause is unknown. Though I noticed it's unset while in Paris, France. I live in the States.

For me, as the Dr. indicated, I do not recall any joint pain whatsoever. I just thought you'd be happy to hear, that after close to 3 years of living with it, it is now gone. It disappeared for me. Now, I'm only left with the small scar that the biopsy left me. I think I only applied various ointments to it which only reddened it worse.
A related discussion, granuloma anulare was started.
A related discussion, Granuloma Annulare-Nickel in Food/Cookware Allergy was started.
A related discussion, Granuloma annulare was started.