gray, itchy skin

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

gray, itchy skin

I'm really not too sure where this condition categorizes itself, but I for the past 2 to 3 years I have had this gray area on the inside of my right buttock.  At first it was just gray, but then it started to get dry and itches from time to time and so far it has remained there.  No matter how much I try and wash or keep that area clean, it just stays there.  I believe the area became bigger over time, but it could be my but got smaller, who knows....what could this be?

Thanks.
From the symptoms you have mentioned, it seems to be a case of Eczema. It is a form of chronic dermatitis (rash).Allergic reaction is one of the important causes of eczema. Allergic reaction can occur to strong soaps, Solvents, chemicals, certain foods, food additives, plants, metals, cosmetics, even urine and faeces of some animals (dust mites).

Diagnosis of skin allergies includes Skin ***** tests (pricking the skin with a needle or pin containing a small amount of the allergen ('***** Testing' or 'Scratch Testing'), Patch tests (by applying a patch to the skin, where the patch contains the allergen.)And RAST.

Treatment includes avoidance of the allergen, oral antihistaminics; topical application of corticosteroids.You may try application of calamine on the affected site. It may work by soothing the skin.

Pls seek an appointment with a dermatologist for your complete examination and for figuring out the allergen to which you have allergy.

Do keep posting.