hard lump behind ear-comes and goes

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

hard lump behind ear-comes and goes

hello

okay so i had this hard lump behind my ear that was painless and movable. I had it for a couple months but since i had just gotten my ear pierced and it got infected i thought maybe it was a swollen gland due to the infection in the piercing, so I took it out. It went down almost completely for about a week. and then i got like a zit inside my ear, and the lump is back. its really hard but its movable. I have a Dr. appt. this thursday but im just looking for some guidance. and No i havent been sick. any ideas?
Most lumps in that site are due to infections or benign tumors of soft tissue origin. Behind the ear there is skin, fat, cartilage, bone, nerves, blood vessels, Lymph nodes, and salivary gland tissue (a portion of the parotid salivary gland extends behind the ear). A bump can develop from any of those structures, and could be due to a tumor (benign or not), an infection (Lymph node or skin), a swollen muscle or salivary gland, etc.

My suggestion would be to wait it out to see if it changes in size. If it gets smaller, it was nothing. If it happens to get bigger, then make an appointment with your doctor. You may take some pain killers or some anti-inflammatory drug if you have pain.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.