hard red rash with bumps or pustules

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

hard red rash with bumps or pustules

Hi folks.. I have a red, hard to the touch, bumpy,very itchy weeping rash on my elbow..a week ago I thought this might be a spider bite.. then it looked more like Tinea so I started using an anti fungal cream.. which stopped all of the itching and cleared it up from the size of a dime to just a tiny pink mark.. until about 3 days ago when I woke up at 5 am with terrible itching and lots of hard bumps where the small pink blotch used to be.. now it's spread to the size of a fifty cent coin and the itching is tremendous.. it weeps yellow and it's driving my nuts.. please offer suggestions if it sounds familiar. I find it odd that an antifungal seemed to do the trick.. then it just exploded.

thanks Ajax
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Differentials will be a contact dermatitis, fungal infection and psoriatic lesion.

These three skin conditions may present with redness and itchiness.They may form plaques with a reddish base and may present with scaling.Dermatitis however, is more itchy and presents with more weeping.

I suggest that you have this assessed properly before applying any medications. Topical corticosteroids may be used to alleviate the redness and the itchiness of a dermatitis. A fungal infection may be readily spread if not managed properly.However prolonged use of the steroids may have some unwanted side effects.

For the meantime, avoid any possible triggers if you have had previous history of allergies.Wash the area with a mild and bland soap.Avoid sharing any towels and other personal belongings.Keep the area dry always and avoid frequently resting the elbows.

Thanks Vanessa, as far as I know I have few allergies, if any. Any idea why it would have flamed up after appearing to be almost completely gone? I'll be seeing a doc in a few days if it gets any worse, the itching is not constant but the weeping is for sure.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This is because corticosteroids are only used to temporarily control or offer relief but not necessarily to treat certain skin conditions. The differentials of dermatitis and fungal infections may be chronic and they may recur from time to time.This is not something unexpected from these type of skin conditions.

I suggest you have this evaluated by your dermatologist.Do keep us posted regarding physician's advice.
Thanks Vanessa,

went to the doc and it appears to be fungal with a secondary infection.. I'm on an antibiotic, an antifungal and prednozone.. all oral.. as of yet no change but it's been one day.. the weeping seems to have slowed some as well as the itch. Thanks much for the info.