Dermatology Expert Forum
head bumps

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

head bumps

Within the last 4-5 months I have noticed a bump on my head near the crown. It has grown perhaps the size of a pencil eraser, it does not hurt, it appears smooth, and it is pinkish or skin color, (it shows no discoloration)in nature according to my hair dresser. I am a 54 year old female no known cancer in my family. Does this meet the criteria for pilar cyst?  Is Ct or X-Ray absolutely necessary?  If surgical removal, will hair grow back? How deep and painful a procedure is this? I have no other symptoms. Thank you. How difficult is it to make appointment with Dr Rockoff?
It could be a cyst, or it could be a mole.  It is almost certainly not anything which has to be removed, unless it is mechanically annoying (catches on combs, etc.)

Cysts and other similar bumps can be diagnosed by inspection.  In most cases, X-Ray and other studies are not necessary.

When a pilar cyst is removed, it isn't necessary to destroy hair follicles, so a bald spot is not left.  The procedure requires local anesthesia, which stops any pain, and takes a few minutes.  Removing a mole is even easier.

I would suggest that a skin doctor look at the bump and tell you what it is.  More than likely, you will require a very minor procedure, or none at all.

Take care.

Dr. Rockoff

Follow-up question. How likely is it that this bump on my head is a melanoma?
Very unlikely.

ASR
A related discussion, What causes painful lumps on my head? was started.