Dermatology Expert Forum
herpes in arm

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

herpes in arm

I got rashlike symptoms about a week and a half ago. I ended up
going to the doctor and i was first diagnosed with staph infection. I ended up going back to a different place and they thought it could be shingles, so they did a viral test(culture). I was just called today and the p.a. said that my swab (from my arm) came up positive for herpes simplex 2. Suddenly i am worried. Ive read about the disease and ive never heard of it ocurring in ones armpit. Im in diar need of some answers. I had a blistering rash in five places. It first occured in four places: in my armpits and elbowpits. The culture was taken from my elbow pit. The blistery rash then occured next to my eye. I have never had any type of breakout in my genital areas, NEVER. I have also always practiced safe sex. Im wondering if #1 is it possible that the test is wrong #2 can people get herpes 2 outbreak in those places(arms) without ever having an outbreak in the genitalia, i.e, has this type of thing occured before. Id really just like to know whether this thing (herpes 2)is really happening or whether this could some awful mistake.
Thanks, john
Something is wrong with this picture.  In the first place, you don't get herpes simplex--type 1 or 2--in lots of different places.  Second, a culture for herpes zoster (the chickenpox virus) would not grow herpes simplex.  Also, the description you give doesn't sound like herpes, or at least it could be other things.  You can get herpes 2 in sites other than the genitals, but for all these reasons, I have my doubts that it's the explanation for all these symptoms in your case.  I think you need clarification from your doctor, or from a dermatologist or an expert in infectious diseases.  The whole story just doesn't hang together.

Good luck.

Dr. Rockoff
It IS possible to have herpes outbreaks in "other places" I know because it happened to me. It happened because I had an underlying illness that was undiagnosed at the time and my immune system was compromised. Have you had a CBC done? A thorough exam? I'd do some further investigating into this. It is unusual so doctors can misdiagnose it but seeing as how you have had a culture confirming it, I'd look for underlying causes. I ignored it the first time it happened but then it happened AGAIN and at that point I saw another doctor and he figured it out. I don't mean to scare you but since it did happen to me and it was not properly diagnosed at first I thought I'd pass my experience on to you. Good luck. I had a suppressed immune system caused by my underlying illness and outbreaks of herpes simplex II in very od places, my arm, my back, etc.
A related discussion, herpes in weird areas was started.