Dermatology Expert Forum
herpes on inside of lip???

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

herpes on inside of lip???

4 months ago I contracted Herpes Type 1 with all the classic symptoms and was tested for it and was positive for Type 1. I have posted a similiar question here before but I am still a little confused.  Since the primary outbreak which was only two small areas one on the top lip...not actually on the lip but above it and one at the corner of my mouth, I have had redness on the inside of my upper lip.  You have to pull my lip back to see the area just inside my lip where the outer lip margin ends.  Its a red and just looks irriated.  There are no blisters and perhaps my lip has always been like this but I have never had cause to stare at it before.  It doesnt hurt at all and the only thing that draws my attention to it is the fact it looks irritated.  I went to my docotor who said it was a herpes outbreak and said I should continue with the Famvir but also went to my dermatologist about 1 week after that who said it wasnt and it would be gone by now with the Famvir if that was the case. So this all adds to the confusion.  The redness comes and goes and if I gargle with hydrogen peroxide and use triamcinolone acetonide the dermatologist gave me it does get better.  I am just nervous that this could be a minor herpes outbreak and I want to be aware of the fact so I don't pass it along to anyone via kissing.  I have not had any other outbreaks with actual sores and no tingling or signs of anything since the primary outbreak.  I am a very healthy 31 yr old who rarely gets sick so I am hoping that my body will be able to keep this all under wraps.  But this redness has me worried.  Thanks!!!!
What you're describing is certainly not herpes, even if you had a herpes outbreak months ago.  I think you're just looking hard at an area you didn't have any reason to look at before.  If you get another cold sore, there will be no no doubt about it--a scabbed area that you don't need to stare at to see.  And I will only last a week or so.  I think your dermatologist is correct and that you don't need to keep taking Famvir.

Best.

Dr. Rockoff