Dermatology Expert Forum
herpes or pimples

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

herpes or pimples

Hello Doc,
Today whilst urinating I noticed tiny red pimple like bumps on the underside of my foreskin and head of my penis. I have not had unprotected vaginal or oral sex in over a month. Also, I tested negative to HSV1&2 a few moths back with a blood test. I haven't noticed any discharge and the bumps are not particularly painful. They are not fluid filled. I hadn't showered all w/e 40 hrs + and have masturbated 4 times. I have also recently completed two courses of antibiotics to treat a chest infection.

Does this look like herpes or just pimples due to poor hygeine? Could it be something else? I am anxious about STD's so if this is herpes it is definitely the primary/first outbreak (I check myself frequently).

Thanks.

Dear ledodge,

Thank you for posting the query,

You have provided good information regarding your health concern and it is a very good description of your lesions. I appreciate it. But unfortunately the link (picture) which you have sent says that the photo has been removed from there.

With the information you have provided it seems that it is just a boil or a inflamed sebaceous gland. At this moment it doesn't seem to be a STD. Also the last exposure that you had was some 1 month back shows that it is unlikely to be a STD ,since many of the STDs have a short incubation period (even herpes) . Syphilis does have a long incubation period but it can be ruled out by just doing a blood test. This would help you reduce your anxiety.

Herpes infection manifest as multiple grouped vesicles(water filled lesions) associated with pain and fever.

I would like to ask you few questions here :
1) Do you see any such vesicles.
2) Does the lesion hurt when pressed .
3) Any associated fever or joint pain.

Please reply back with the above answers, as this will help me in answering you better.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you will get better soon.

Thank you for using MedHelp's "Ask an Expert" Service, where we feature some of world's renowned medical experts in their fields. Millions have benefitted from our service to get personalized advice for them and for their loved ones.

Best Regards,
Dr. Bharat Chawda
Thanks Dr Chawda,

There are probably 5-6 red spots all up some on the head and some on the underside of my foreskin. No spots on the shaft itself. They are not liquid filled and are relatively flat. They do not look like herpes pictures online (clusters of blisters) but I understand herpes can present moderately and resemble pimples? I'm only experience minor discomfort and no pain if I press on them. I don't have a fever or any significant joint pain. Can I please message you a picture of what's going on? I'd linked to a pic but the moderators of the site removed it.
Do I need to post a separate question to receive an answer for the above??

Dear ledodge,

Thank you for writing back.

With the description, it doesn't seems to be Herpes.

Probably, it’s just a inflammatory response to the friction or the inflammation of Sebaceous glands.

I think, you can try applying Mupirocin cream locally over the lesion after getting it prescribed from your doctor. It’s a Antibiotic creams and very safe to use.

Kindly let me know the response of the cream and also if there is a change in the lesion.

Best Regards,
Dr. Bharat Chawda.