hives that are not going away
my nephew has a really bad case of hives. they were bad enough that the doctor gave him a steroid shot. he said they should be gone in twenty four hours. they were still there and he started to weez, so we took him back to the hospital. Blood tests later they gave him more steroids and some more antihistemine. Twelve hours later they are still there, spreading, and getting worse. He is now bruising really bad in spots. This is not from scratching as he is only ten months old. Does anyone have a clue what we can do to get rid of them. He is so miserable. All the meds do is make him sleep for an hour but they are not helping any.

This discussion is related to hives that will not go away.
Hives (medically known as urticaria) are red, itchy, raised areas of skin that appear in varying shapes and sizes. They have a tendency to change size rapidly and to move around, disappearing in one place and reappearing in other places, often in a matter of hours. But since now unexpected bruising is there, so definitely this needs a thorough evaluation. Anemia and deficiency of vitamins C, K, B12, or folic acid are the common causes along with other causes like bone marrow disorders, liver diseases or leukemias. My sincere advice would be an immediate evaluation from a paediatrician.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.