hole at the bottom of the tail one

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

hole at the bottom of the tail one

my daughter is 3yrs old and ive always noticed a small hole at the bottom of her tail bone between her butt cheeks i thought it was a dimple bc she was so chubby but yesterday i got a really good look at it and i seen it was a hole! it really freaked me out its about the size of the top of a pin. i have no idea what may have coused it, or if it maybe a serious issue. i made her a doc appt with her peds doc but i am very nervous it maybe something serious. ive never seen anything come out of it, but i know it is not normal. can someone please help  me

Your daughter is 3 years old and if this were a hole like children have with Spina Bifida her pediatrician would have noticed it long ago. The doctor probably saw it but didn't think it was anything to worry about.

This hole is also known as a "Sacral Dimple". If she's walking and moving around easily there's usually no concern.
At her doctors appointment they can do an ultrasound and other tests to see if the hole is open to the spine however as I said above, she's most likely fine.
Hopefully this helps.

Cindie
(Martikadragoon, CL Dermatology)
it looks like pilonidal dimple. It is a small pit or sinus in the sacral area at the very top of the crease between the buttocks.

The majority of pilonidal dimples are harmless, congenital anomalies that consist of a small depression or pit. But sometimes it may also be a deep tract, rather than a shallow depression, leading to a sinus that may contain hair. These can become infected and drain.

I suggest you to get it evaluated from her pediatrician.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

thank ou for you help! We took her to see her ped yesterday and she said it was a sacral dimple but that it was deep. So she made her an appt for her to get an ultrasound tomorrow. She told us not to worry bc if it was something bad then my daughter would have never walked or that she would be in alot of pain! my daughter is 3yrs old, she walked early, now she runs jumps skips etc. i just dot get how it was missed all these yrs. i always seen it but thought it was a tiny dimple bc she was a chunky baby. Iam still very worried about it though. i dont want her to walk around with this her entire life. If its fine and isnt attached to anything could i ever get it closed for her????
It is good that the pilonidal dimple is not very deep. However I suggest you to keep an eye on this as it may get converted to pilonidal cyst. In this the skin becomes reddened or even sometimes looks like a small bruise. When it is infected, it causes pain.Antibiotics or surgical drainage may be required.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
My daughter was born in December- she has one too...sacral dimple..we noticed it in the hospital...the dr says it has a "floor" and so it isn't deep. But I wonder the same-if I wanted to and all is fine/ can we have it closed somehow?!
Did you ever find out?!
my granddaughter has a tiny hole like someone stuck her with a small needle im worried  dr said its ok                   LB
Is it possible to have the sacral dimple surgically closed even if it is not causing problems other than knowing that it is there?
my baby boy was also born with the sacral dimple. i first thought that periods of depression during my pregnancy triggered the abnormal opening on my baby's tailbone. but the doctor said that it is normal and even his son was born with it. it seems that many babies are born with it and so it is normal. However, and of course it is not normal! i'll definitely look for a surgical methood to close it. maybe laser surgery helps?
Have a Dermatology question?
100,000+ doctor answers