Dermatology Expert Forum
horizontal straight depression on thumbnail

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care. All questions will be answered by a medical professional.

hi, i wanted to get your insight on this.  I have noticed an horizontal straight parallel depression across my thumbnail.  like a little valley. but straight. It is directly in the middle of my nail. I have seen many things on the internet about this, but was wanting to see what u thought.  I have been pretty stressed lately. Another question is, if its directly in the middle, do you know when approximately this could of happened to my nail? im assuming it takes a couple of months to get to the middle?  Just wndering, if this could b from porr diet, stress, or a number of things.. or is this a regular phenemonon.. thanks for any help on this ,, i am adding a link to some pictures of my thumb..
thank you
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59399194@N07/
Welcome to the Dermatology Expert Forum! Thank you for your question.

Only one horizontal depression present on only one fingernail is usually caused by trauma (usually accidental physical trauma) of nail matrix (nail “root”). It should grow out of your nail bed in 2-3 months. Fingernails grow about 3mm per month.

Try to go back about 2 months and to remember if you had injured that nail area (anything from accidental bang to rough cuticle cutting…).

Poor nutrition, chronic stress and other lifestyle risk factors do affect nails, but most often such lesions are detectable on more than one of fingernails and/or toenails.

Wishing You Optimal Health and Lovely Springtime,
Dr. Jasmina Jankicevic
Hi, I was wanting to know, if my question was in the wrong forum or why my question wasnt getting answered?  Could you please let me know.. thank you
thanks for your time and insight..have a great spring!