Dermatology Community
horrible razor burn on my legs, how do I prevent it?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

horrible razor burn on my legs, how do I prevent it?

I get horrible razor burn every time I shave my legs.  I usually shave with an electric razor to prevent this, but every so often I try again with the blade to see if I can figure out a way to make it work--so far, nothing has.  I do not use a blade often, and the times are far between to give my skin a chance to heal.  I've tried hair removal creams Veet and Nair with the same results.

I always let my legs soak for a while to open the pores and soften the hair, and I always use a shaving creme or gel instead of soap.  I let the creme set for a little while before I begin shaving, just as I was advised to do.  Afterwards, I moisturize with AmLactin lotion, which so far has done the best for my razorburn but still hasn't solved it.  

My legs will usually be fine for a little while, but when the hair starts to grow back, my skin begins to itch.  The itch is terrible, it's woken me from a sound sleep.  I do my best not to scratch, I usually treat with more lotion or cold water, but this doesn't always help.  Usually, even if I don't scratch, I'll start to get red burn bumps by the next day.  The itching and burning will continue for up to a week (!!) and the redness sometimes two.  

I don't know what else I can do to solve this.  I can't afford lazer hair removal, and I've heard that hair softening lotions don't really work.  What should I do?