how can this itching jump locations on your body?

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

i've been searching and reading and the itching is driving me nuts. i too have been diagnosed with "general skin rash" "scabies" "dermatitis allergen" or even the "perhaps its a reaction to your various meds" and reduce me down or eliminate the meds, but not the itching. i have been taking pics over months - it appears below my right elbow ... then above my left elbow ... my right wrist .... there is the "deep-seated-want-to-cut-my-hand/arm-off itch" where i've scratched layers of skin off the palm of my hand, then the itch appears on the left with a small rash, then the head itches .... now i've got a "necklace band of rash" and it burns like "burning nettle" - the littlest wisp of a hair against the skin can set off a scratching episode. i've tried mixing everything from vagisil anti-itch cream with the topical steriod with acne cream - i've even used dog shampoo "bio spot" on my body ... i can't sleep ... the prescription strength antihistihmine doesn't work ... aveeno or diaper rash cream helps some ... i take antidepressent citalopram hydrobromide ... that is the only change in the past year that i've had this itch problem - i was weened off depakote, lorazapam and simisivan (for cholesterol). i do have sciatica/low back problems and just recently began receiving shots .... so the shots isn't it. my face itches ... anything that i can scratch ....if there is a scab anywhere, i will scratch that off too .... i take extend sleep ambian - and i scratch and wake up from that too .....on to doctor number 3 tomorrow and then wait to see a dermatologist .... "stop scratching" "think about something else" "distract yourself" = yeah right - you itch like this and see how well you sleep and can focus........

This discussion is related to Sever arm itching.
Two possibilities are there which can need to be evaluated. First is of brachiradial pruritis and the second possibility is of lichen simplex chronicus. Lichen Simplex Chronicus is seen in people with eczema.

It is treated like chronic eczema by decreasing water and soap contact, and applying emollients. Topical steroids are almost always needed to control the symptoms. You can use mild steroid cream like Dermacort and if the symptoms persist then high potency steroids and oral steroids may be needed.
My sincere advice would be to consult a dermatologist to get the diagnosis confirmed.

I hope it helps. Take care and please do keep me posted in case you have any additional doubts. Kind regards.