hypopigmentation due to lidex ointment (fluocinonide)

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology - rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

hi, i applied a generous amount of lidex ointment on a skin irritation the night before and i immediately noticed that the surrounding area of the skin irritation got a whitening effect. and i read in that one of the side effects of lidex ointment is hypopigmentation. i would like to know if this side effect of hypopigmentation is temporary or permanent? if temporary, how long will it last? thanks in advance.
This kind of hypopigmentation is usually not permanent. Generally it goes away on its own after exposure to the sun. Creams like Elidel cream or Protropic can be used on these hypopigmented areas but it should be used only after a dermatologist’s guidance. If the symptoms still persist then you can talk to your dermatologist about laser-assisted chemabrasion(LACA).

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.