incredibly itchy skin after shower/shaving- pls help!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Viewing 201-240 comments:
And I thought I was the only with this weird condition. Can't even keep a blanket or heater on even in the winter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquagenic_pruritus

my son has this problem
I also have had this problem for a few years now.  It is on and off when the itching occurs.  I have recently found this Olay in shower body lotion at Walmart that has seemed to make quite the difference!  
http://www.olay.com/skin-care-products/body-cleansing/In-shower-body-lotion?pid=037000419181
I have been suffering for years and years, think about 20 years now! My father used to get it but now he's 71 it has disappeared only to be replaced by horrific hay fever! Poor man!
Anyway...... It's driven me insane, nuts, crazy, scared to shower, have to shut myself away or pace around like a lune to calm myself down and try to ignore the pulses of ichting on my legs and surging up my body after a bath, a shower, a swim in sea, swim in a pool......
It is not caused by lotions or body wash.
It is a water problem. That's why people get this after swimming, some get it from sweating in the gym or playing golf.
TAKE AN ANTIHISTAMINE BEFORE YOU WASH OR SWIM.
WORKS EVERY TIME. LEAVE IT ABOUT 10/15mins BEFORE YOU MAKE CONTACT WITH WATER. OR DO SPORT.
My itching is always worse in winter/rainy season when the house is damp and verging on moldy. This is also a link.
Go to your pharmacy and get some antihistamines!
Good luck.  
Look at this

Try the antihistamines that they recommend here
Loratadine in mild cases or doxepin in severe cases.
Good luck.  
are the gifted health researcher can gather everyone of us to nail this issue. it seems nothing when discussing it , not until one experienced it. I am so scared to move near water or high humidity weather. I am an handsome man with a great skin but due to lack of shower regularly because of itching had downgraded my shining skin. it is becoming unbearable and sad not being able to take shower or bath.
I am trusting Jesus to help out for real.
It's eating you a live, but it's itching me to death. I'm just going to stop bathing, so if you see me coming you move over. I'll be the one with the dust cloud.
It's eating you a live, but it's itching me to death. I'm just going to stop bathing , so if you see me coming you move over.
I moved to Croatia a year ago and ever since I've been having this horrible itch after I take a shower. Back home I never had anything like that and I'm really going nuts. I already hate taking showers, especially during the winter when putting on jeans is like pealing my skin off. I put on tones of cream and lotions, but nothing helps.The itch lasts for at least 20 mins, no matter what I do. Also I have itch not only on my legs, arms and neck, but on my head and my hair falls. I belive it's mostly because the water is so different from the water back home, but still it's horrible sensation and I really have to figure out what to do.
I have this problem as well and I indirectly discovered by taking the vitamin BIOTIN (for my hair) about 2-3 hours before I shower....... that my skin doesn't itch after I shower.  It has truly been a miracle for me!!!!!!!  The dermatologist wasn't too interested in hearing about that when I went to see what was causing the itching......needless to say....I didn't go back.   Until I can find out what is causing this, I faithfully take biotin everyday.  I usually take 5,000mcg but found that taking 1,500 mcg has been just as effective.   PLEASE TRY IT.......IT MAY MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR Y OU
The most common cause of skin itching after shower is not the shower - that's just water in moderation, it's pretty harmless. It might surprise you to know that one ingredient used in most shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, shaving cream, shower gel, and 'soap' is also the most common skin irritant! What? Why? Why would companies make skincare products which include an ingredient that causes skin discomfort? The simplest answer: because the consumer demands it.
The problem of skin itching after shower, at bedtime, and during the winter is pretty common. While the time of day, the relative cleanliness, and the time of year seem unrelated, they are actually mostly caused by the same thing: sodium lauryl sulfate.

The connection and the cause is sodium lauryl sulfate, a chemical derived from coconuts. Now you're thinking I'm a kook, a crunchie, a goofball, or an alarmist. I'm not. Let's disprove these unspoken accusations with a bit of science - then we can move on to the solution and you can stop your skin itching after shower.

The Science
Sodium lauryl sulfate is used in laboratory testing to damage the skin's natural barrier function. One of the most important functions of skin is to keep things out. Things like chemicals, bacteria, and viruses would have unfettered entry into our bodies if it weren't for our skin. When a scientist wants to see what happens if a particular chemical does get in, they reach for sodium lauryl sulfate.

The damaging effect of sodium lauryl sulfate on the skin is objectively measurable - scientists don't ask, "Is your skin itching after shower?" They measure TEWL (trans epidermal water loss) to see how much water the skin is letting out. They also test for erythema, which means skin redness, by measuring the light that is absorbed and reflected. The final common measure is stratum corneum hydration, which measures the hydration of the stratum corneum (a skin layer) by electrical conduction. One study (J Am Acad Dermatol. 1994 Jun;30(6):944-9) showed that the damage caused by sls took 17 days to heal!

The Consumer's Role
Why do manufacturers use sls if it causes not only skin itching after shower, but also exaggerates allergic reactions (Contact Dermatitis. 2005 May;52(5):239-41), triggers eczema (Skin Res Technol. 2003 Nov;9(4):357-62), and causes canker sores (Compend Contin Educ Dent. 1997 Dec;18(12):1238-40)?

The biggest reason for pretty much everything is money. Consumers buy products containing sls because they like them, companies make them because consumers buy them. Pretty simple.

Sodium lauryl sulfate is a foaming ingredient - it makes toothpaste foamier and shampoo bubblier. Consumers like these feelings - it makes cleansing feel effective. But with more than 41% of the population sensitive to sls (Contact Dermatitis. 2003 Feb;48(2):99-107), is it worth it?

Is there an alternative that doesn't cause skin itching after shower?
Yes. Centuries before humans discovered that they could extract sls from coconuts to make a foamier soap, they were getting clean using sls-free soaps. Today's consumers can find sls-free products if they look hard enough and are willing to read the labels. Even products made by 'natural' companies can contain sodium lauryl sulfate. That's because it is a natural product (but so is hemlock.)

When reading the labels of your personal hygiene products, look for sls, sodium lauryl sulfate, or 'naturally derived surfactants or foaming agents.' These all usually mean the same thing - your skin itching after shower.
I've read this entire blog and no one has had MY PROBLEM dealing with major itchy wet skin. For those that have a rash, this does not apply.

When I visited a dermatologist and described the problem, she diagnosed the condition as Aquagenic Urticaria. I followed up with my allergist who put a sponge on my arm for over 10 minutes. Indeed my arm was itching like crazy, but no rash was present. He said, "You don't have Aquagenic Urticaria. If NO rash is present, it is NOT a urticaria (an allergic reaction to a substance). There is something else going on."

For over two years, I was severely itching when bathing, showering, sweating, getting rained on, putting lotion on, anything that wet my skin (arms + legs). I dreaded the fact that I had to maintain clean hygiene with what I thought was an allergy to water. I explained to friends that when soaking in a tub, it felt like 100's of bugs were biting me which got more intense the longer I stayed in the water. And shaving!! Oh my goodness. I would take a knife blade to my skin afterwards - scratching. The one thing that helped was sitting in front of a fan rubbing Gold Bond Shea Butter in until it flaked off.

Here was my problem.

If you constantly intake diet products with Aspartame, this could be the source of the itching.

Aspartame chemically breaks down into a couple toxic chemicals (methanol + formaldehyde) and also in the mix is formic acid.  Formic acid is the sting that bees and fire ants give off. That was when I made the connection -- bugs.

Therefore, this is a chemical reaction through the breakdown of Aspartame, and not an allergic reaction that causes a rash. My research lead to this conclusion:  the chemicals of (1) Methanol (2) carbon monoxide (3) sodium form  = methyl formate. Hydrolysis of methyl formate produces formic acid.
[see >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formic_acid <<<]

In layman's terms, here is the bio-experiment going on. Methanol is in aspartame. We breath carbon monoxide in the air which is called pollution. We intake salt all the time in our food. Add water, and it feels like bees or fire ants (which is the itching).

Also Read:

"side effects" by Dr. Janet Starr Hull
http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

"The most dangerous substance added to foods"
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx
I have the same problem from about mid-August to late November every year for about 6 years or so. It gets progressively worse every year. It's only on my arms and legs. It is such torture. I would rather feel pain than this kind of itching. It happens every morning after my shower. I find it passes fastest if I take a Claritin before I shower, shower in tepid water, shave, and apply lots of Gold Bond's Healing lotion to my arms and legs while I'm still soaking wet. Then I give my legs plenty of time to dry. I don't let a towel come near my arms or legs. I also take a while to open the bathroom door- because sometimes that temperature change can set off the itching. Yesterday the itching started out of the blue in the evening. I had run out of Claritin and hadn't taken one that morning. It was so bad that I actually cried, took 2 Benadryl and even got a Xanax from a friend. Then I did my shower remedy all over again. This calmed it down enough for me to go to the store to get more Claritin for this morning. I had to take one more Benadryl to get to sleep and slept with a pillow between my legs. This is such a frustrating problem because no one understands what torture severe itching can be and there are no visible signs on the skin. I am a healthy 24 year old female with no other medical problems or allergies. I don't know what to do but suffer until December. I'm pretty sure a doctor will just throw another antihistamine at me and tell me to use lotion, but I'm considering seeing one anyway.
I itch so bad when I get out of the shower that I want to peel my skin off, I am soooooo miserable and become very angry when this happens. I have noticed that when I itch, it just makes it worse. I like the comment to shower at night and/or put on the TV to distract from the itching. However before I get out of the shower I rinse off in cold water, because for me the hot shower is what triggers it. I did not know that moisterizers can make it worse, I am going to have to see if that is the case for me as well. I just want to know what causes it, and the fact that my doctor has no idea is VERY frusterating. Being this miserable before I even start my day is horrible.
To all of you i highly recommend going off all wheat/gluten!!! I had this condition for years and it lifted after about a month of 100% gluten free!  I have tried a few times eating gluten over the years and it comes right back!  It also can be a yeast or fungus in the skin ...this can be tested by a doc through skin testing...
I've had the same problem since I moved to California over 20 years ago from Chicago. I also noticed that when I travel some time it doesn't happen. I thought it was mental or my nerves and doctors said it was hot water. The only thing that helps are products with a cooling effect like menthol. I use a cheep product called anti-itch cream medicated. It has menthol 1.0 % and pramoxine hydrochloride 1.0 % . The cooling over powers the itch long enough to knee me from loosing it or until it stops. My itching last about 45 minutes.
Really think that if i take another shower or bath i am going to go flippen mad crazy! The itching is just to intense, i cant take it any more! Have tried about every thing to stop this and nothing seems to work. Hot, cold inbetween water temps doesnt matter i still itch. Tried every kind of soap and tried going with out. Some one please help!!!!
I have experienced the same issue for a few months now. The affected area is anywhere I have shaved before, but not necessarily right after shaving. I have changed my soap, razors, laundry detergent, everything. It is not getting better. I have tried itch creams and special lotions. The only thing that helps is a cold compress. It is so awful I want to crawl out of my skin. Scratching makes it 10 x worse. What I don't understand is why I never had the problem before. Nothing has changed. It started out mild - I always had itchy skin after the shower, but it has gotten so much worse. It helps to hear others are experiencing this problem. It is very sad.
i am going through the same problem at this time. it is so miserable to take a shower, both legs and some parts of my arms itch for atleast 30mins and some times about an hour and i feel like evey thing around me is dirty. i noticed that if i put on a pair of pants that was just ironed, the itching subsides. yesterday, i turned my temperatures up to about 80 degress and the ithching was very much less and lasted only for 15 minutes max. i think i might but a space heater only for after shower purposes. will give updates if this does not work.
I have the same issue (itchy skin after shower), not going to get into much detail so im going to give you the direct and COMPLETE REMEDY! So you wouldnt be scared to take showers, like i was.
- TAKE mulitimultimins, allergy medecine and/or antibiotics
- Use african black soap or morrocan black soap or argan oil base soap/shower gel. In a word, use soap dirived form natural essential oils (if u would like to know what kind, pleae inform me)
- MAINTAIN  healthy food diet and exercices
- WEAR clothing that is smooth on the skin
- Moiturize and massage your body after every shower with essentiel or natural oils (olive oil, argan oil, shea butter....) Give your self a little pampering, the itching will be a bit relieved
TELL ME IF IT WORKS FOR YA!
Mine literally started just 2 weeks ago. Im 35 and never had this happen. I even went to the ER. The dr didn't run tests but wrote a script for benadyl n cream. Didn't help either. Yesterday i didn't itch at all n went to take a shower as soon as i got out it was like ants on my arms n legs. But i do take hot showers always have w no problem. I threw my loofah out thinking it was that but just now had really hot water on my arms n they started to itch. I just wanna know why now??? If its the hot water wich i will now not be doing to see if that is it.

Theresia
The biggest reason people itch right after the shower is the soap or chemical they are using . Normally after having a shower or bath , your skin gets clean . Clean of dirt as well as clean of some "Useful oil" which protects your skin. Since soap and the other chemicals we use while taking bath , they cleans off those useful oils.
But we do not start itching in the shower itself it is because of the water still there on skin making a Layer . So there is no contact of the Bare skin to the air . But the moment we dry our self up , the water is no longer there and leaving the skin "Dry" with nothing to protect it from . So the skin becomes too much sensitive and starts to itch .

So the best thing to do would be is right after shower/bath "PAT" with the towel to dry instead of rubbing and right after that use moisturizer so to protect the skin from being itchy .

If that still itch a lot for hours even after applying moisturizer then please do consult your doctor .
Wow Heather!  I feel your pain. Literally. I am a 38 y/o man and have dealt with the same itch problem since about age 16.  I've never seen a doc about my problem. I'm about to. I too have to isolate myself from my wife when ia have an episode.  I only recently even told her how bad it is as it seems to be getting worse. It is quite refreshing yet sad to know its not just me, not in my head and is as severe for others as it is for me. I swear I've felt like scraping my skin off with a blade. Even wondered what I might accomplish with a flame.  So, yeah this crap really drives me literally CRAZY for a limited time frame.

Mine only kicks in After showers. I'm always trying to figure out triggers ... to no avail. Tried every temperature for my water, tried every soap and expensive lotion/cream/moisturizer (cetafil is best for me but its not magic).  I try to take notice of what is different on the rare occasions that I don't itch. Nothing stands out. When its bad. It seems like EVERY THING is a factor. From the humidity level to each specific move I make.  Sometimes when I'm moisturizing it feels like that is a trigger. If I leave the restroom and have to return, it seems like the atmoatmospheric hang is the problem.  Of course by the time the itching gets really bad, I'm not thinking clearly anyway.
Its Saturday now. I plan to go see my doc regarding this condition during the next week.
Like Heather, I know I didn't offer any solutions. I just needed to vent. No person that I know personally understands like I know you do!
i'm buying a showerhead filter.  i can relate to everyone here.  the feeling is excruciating.  and people who don't experience it can really understand how bad it is.  it has brought me to tears a few times over my life.  i'm mid-40s.  these past couple of weeks with the weather changing here in DC, it has been sheer awfulness every single morning after my shower.  i hope i have the problem pinpointed.  i hope it's a matter of the chemicals in the city water.  i'm buying a filter and am optimistic that i'll get some relief.  wouldn't it be nice if it was as simple as this?  i'll check back in to let you know.  ...in my bit of research, it looks like the sprite showerheads are the best brand to get.  i'll let you know.
1. I use natural vegetable soap, then about 3 times a week i rub coconut oil all over me right after my shower while I'm wet.
2. I don't itch the area. Makes it worse. I rub it lightly and suffer through the itch. If you have recurring itches periodically like I have, then this is very effective. For several years I had itchy shoulders when I went to bed. My brother said no matter what, never itch them. This helped heal up my skin better than anything else. My skin didn't look damaged or dry. Just itched.
It heals underneath.
3. I use Dr. Hoy's on the itchy parts.  It is a natural pain relief gel but works for itching better than anything else. It burns nicely. And burn feels better than itch. Sometimes at night if it nags me I rub that on there to get rid of it.  If I had a magic remedy to give, this is it. Forget all the other worthless creams.

4. Benadryl. I take one pink pill if I am especially suffering with it. This helps a lot.

5. If I drink alcohol it makes it worse. Especially red wine. I still drink it but only now and then. It isn't worth the half hour buzz only to suffer later.
I notice if I eat jalapeno peppers it also makes it worse. I still eat them because I wouldn't want to live if I couldn't have salsa, but it does cause me to itch.

6. Itchy scalp: I make sure to really rinse that soap out of my scalp where it itches and apply conditioner to my scalp.

All these things I have found to help me live better with my itchy condition. If you were to see my skin you would never imagine I live in an itchy body.  I just do my best to manage it and I am lucky enough to have some days where i don't itch at all.   These remedies help you from going insane.

Best takeaway:  Don't itch it. Be strong!!  For me, I realize now the odds of it ever going away completely are pretty slim.
P.S.  I forgot to say. I quit sleeping with my dogs. They track in plants/pollen on their feet and then I was rolling in their hair and plants. Not good for itchers!  Even if you aren't allergic.  
I need to know what kind of test i need to know why my skin is so itchy after a shower, my Dr. just give me a precripsion and seems like nothing helps. please HELP ME!
Y'ALL - Lather up with Trader Joe's Coconut Body Butter ASAP after gently toweling off. If I don't lotion up within minutes after showering, the itch is terrible for about 15 min. The itch rarely happens during the summer months, but I still lotion up, so I'm thinking its the dryness/coldness in the air? I have tried all lotions in desperation over the years (even gold bond) and found that the Coconut Body Butter is THE KEY. I swear by it guys!! Also, baths instead of showers are helpful. COCONUT BODY BUTTER FROM TRADER JOE'S. <3 good luck, Itchy friends!!!!
Hi there,
I am so glad to of found this forum!! I suffer from extremely painful, intense itching after showers. usually just my legs, but can be on my arms from time to time. I am going to head to my doctors to try and get a prescription for Propranolol to see if this helps, otherwise will try out Biotin as someone else mentioned! I am desperate to find some kind of cure for this. I have had it for over the past 4 years and have never found any cure. recently, it has become so intense that it brings me to tears. it makes me run late constantly as I end of spending at least 30mins each morning crazily itching trying different ways to help ease the itch. sometimes, I find running a cold shower and just standing under in until my legs are numb of coldness can help, but then this doesn't last very long. Another thing that can help is putting pants on straight after a shower although this does not always work. I really just hope to find something that will stop me from getting this!!! I completely understand some of your comments and feel for anyone else who experiences this excruciating painful itching!! I will let you know how I go!
Hi, for me this was a sudden one time rash. It happened after I got into the shower, without getting wet myself (but with my bare arms and legs), to shower my two year old. My shower is big enough to fit us both without me getting wet beyond some splashes.  As soon as I came out I started to itch and see redness in my skin.  My theory:
1. The soap got sticked to my skin and remained there, causing an allergic reaction
2.  Everyday I spray the shower with a bit of clorox or those shower cleaning products, as I was not getting wet myself, but the temperature was high, I bet that there were some product fumes.
3.  Any hardness of the water stayed in my body, causing an allergic reaction.

After I read all (minutes after I saw the rash), I went ahead and showered myself trying to take all off).  I hope it helps, if I don't post again, it means that the rash went away by itself.  
If you suffer from aquagenic pruritis (intense itching / pins and needles after washing) then GET A BLOOD TEST FOR P.V. (high red blood cell count).

It may cause symptoms such as visual disturbances, itching, aquagenic pruritis, fatigue, high blood pressure, dizzy spells, headaches.

It's treatable but potentially fatal if you don't spot it (can cause thrombosis).

Get a comprehensive blood panel!!!
Nothing will help you except from lowering your Hemoglobin count between 10-12,0.mg/dL max.
Actually 16mg/dL its the max level. For SOME reason people with 13 or 14 or even little more  tend to have this problem after having bath during summer,because of weather makes sweat.
This will not happen in winter time or in summer in places where there is a low humidity.
Also don't buy special soaps or creams wouldn't either help you.
I have been itching after showering for about 25 years. I have environmental allergies and asthma, too. I've lived in several different states so I know it's not any water system in particular. I've also tried seemingly every soap under the sun, taken OTC and Rx antihistamines prior to showering, and even tried antianxiety pills because the itching gets me so wound up. Nothing really works. I'm glad some of you readers have gotten results.
I have this really bad itch when I get out of the shower all over my arms legs and sometimes my back and sides... I have tried to not dry my body at all be gentle when drying and drying body completely but nothing seems to work I have changed and used different shower gels even sensitive ones it has gotten to the stage that I cant even bare it... I am only 16 and I have had this itchiness for about 2-3 years now does anyone know what it is???
About 7 years ago, it finally got so bad that I went to see the doctor about it. He put me on Zyrtec, which helped for about a year. Then it failed and when it did I discovered just how little western medicine know about itch. So I went to see my wife's Chinese medicine doctor, Dr. Lei Zheng in Raleigh. She told me  I was simply too dry and that I had to think about my environment. While studying my environment, I was to 1) eat more nuts; 2) avoid dairy, 3) use the sauna at the gym and 4) bathe with epsom salts once per week. All of these helped. Then, in thinking about my environment. I realized it was shower water! I immediately rushed out and started buying Sprite slim-line shower filters. (http://www.bestfilters.com/product.asp?itemid=508&gclid=Cj0KEQjwvJqvBRCL77m2-uKczsIBEiQAkx8VjJ5qAp6RmcBGWDP3_S-jWGs0nhfCl0M85elIVLVlSFUaAghG8P8HAQ) Available at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. They filter out the chlorine and other drying impurities, and they work like a charm for about three months. I know it's time to replace the cartridge when the itching returns. They really have been a lifesaver!
I had this issue for several years going all the way back to college. Then about 3 year ago, my wife made a comment which solved my issue. She said, "You never drink water and the skin is the last organ to be hydrated." She was right. I drank nothing but tea and Coke (all caffeine). Once I started drinking water regularly, no problem.

My guess is most of the posters were like me and never drink water, or drink lots of caffeine, which is a diuretic. Try decreasing the diuretics and increasing the water. BTW, alcohol is also a diuretic.
I have the same thing, once i get out of the shower i start getting itchy but mainly on my legs it used to be my arms too but now it only affects my legs and the itching is the most horrible feeling ever. This is what i did today and the itching actually stopped. I put one leg in the shower and left it there for about 30 seconds (only one foot got wet not my whole body) then i took it out to see if it would begin to itch but it didn't (i only use cold water in the shower now). so i decided to take a shower and only try to let clean water hit my skin(not water that runs down from rinsing after applying shampoo since it can have certain ingredients that can cause itching) specially my legs. When i put on shampoo/conditioner i  washed my hair by using a cup to avoid getting it on my legs or body. I did however put on body wash on my body except on my legs then i rinsed my body completely including my legs(i did not scrub my legs at all i only rinsed them but i didn't touch them ). Once i got out of the shower i dried my body with a towel gently except for my legs(it feels as if though the more i touch my legs the more they will itch). Then i put only body lotion and waited about 3 minutes before applying some to my legs even though they were still a little wet. I did this in the afternoon about 7 pm because i feel that in the mornings the itching is more likely to occur. I literally had no itching afterward i feel relieved for once. Also if itching still occurs it is best to cover up your legs by wearing pants immediately after taking a shower, when air hits the skin it can make it worse. Another thing that has helped me is working out before taking a shower i like to just play basketball and sweat maybe it has something to do with circulation. I'm not a doctor but i do speak from experience i'm only 16 and i have only been having this problem for two years but i think this will help. My dad had(i,m not sure if he still has it ) the same thing so i think its hereditary. I know how you feel its a very uncontrollable urge to itch that is maddening, I hope that this is understandable and helpful. God bless.
Thanks it makes sense i will keep you up to date to see how  it goes.
Hi, I'm 22 with the same problem. I get angry when it itches me and I quickly jump on the bed but I realised I have to stop using sponge..now I'm okay but I do not stay long in the bathroom. I wish one day,I would have a proper bath like others.

This is what I've noticed: Soft water virtually no itching, only hard water. Take a bath in hard water, not so bad - but a shower? Ahgggggg! Nightmare. The doc gave me some cream, but it's pretty useless. Then I had the idea of rubbing on organic Fair Trade extra virgin avocado oil. I think it's better than the cream - BUT it is early days. I believe my skin problem stems from insomnia and stress which has had a knock-on effect on my immune system.

I wish everyone luck in finding a relative cure for this horrible problem.

Best, Pete
Hello my name is Israel and i am 42 years of age, when i moved to the city my body itches after bathing and showering like crazy! it starts on my back and then my arms and legs. i feel that because where i once lived the water was treated, and here in the city the water is hard and rough like the water you get from an out doors faucet. i wish they can do something about this!
Your issues are exact to mine.  It seems to be seasonal, mostly on arms and legs, and this year I start itching at night too.  I take alergy (allergy) pills am and now pm in hopes to calm this.  No rash, just insane itching!  I keep searching the internet in hopes of a solution other than what thr Dr tells me (allergy pill).  Good luck to you in finding a solution.

Cary
I have suffered from this (mostly seasonal) problem since I can remember, and the only thing that works for me is baby oil, or in shower moisturizer.  This has actually changed my life. I'll begin to feel itchy in the shower, and the minute I apply the baby oil/in shower moisturizer the itch is gone. No idea what's happening here. I tried allergy pills, I tried exfoliating, I tried a filter on my shower head, and body butter/moisturizer on dry skin after the shower. Nothing.  Baby oil changed my life, and then I was gifted the equally effective, but far less messy Jergens Wet Skin moisturizer. I know that Olay, Dove, and Aquaphor make similar products, and if you're looking for a less messy alternative, baby oil now comes in gel form, but I would encourage you to try an in-shower moisturizing routine since its the only thing that seems to work for me, and for my sister who has the same issue.

http://www.jergens.com/products/wet-skin-moisturizers/
I had the same problem, it drove me absolutely crazy. I would lie in bed at night after a shower and after about 10 minutes or so, suffer hell for about 20 minutes. But, it was not happening all the time. I couldn't pin the reason down until I put on my science hat a few days ago and realised that it could be caused by mild dehydration. I noticed that my urine was yellow and not the pale, pale yellow it should be. So the following day I lined up 6 glasses of water and made sure I drank them all in a day and hey presto, no more itching! I've made sure I drink water everyday since and the problem has not re-occurred. (Don't drink more tea, coffee, etc. drink more plain water!)
There is a biological reason this works but it's long and involved to explain so please, just drink more plain water and if the itch isn't due to a fungal or parasitic attack or similar, it will go away!
One thing I find is that it seems to be temperature activated. Coming out of the shower I heat the bathroom with a hair drier and it seems to help. Have a Dr. do a simple high histamine check. (Consists of scratching your arm and observing the reaction over 10 min.) Not a cure but answers some questions. Someone else suggested having a high red blood cell count done. It's just a blood test. Wouldn't hurt.

Cal
Viewing 201-240 comments: