incredibly itchy skin after shower/shaving- pls help!

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

Viewing 201-226 comments:
Polycythemia Vera is a blood disorder that can make you itch after being in contact with water.  Left undiagnosed can be fatal. If you itch, ask you doctor about PV. Cymbalta is sometimes prescribed for the itching b/c cymbalta helps with nerve pain. My mother has PV. Good luck to you all.
Have you tried switching detergents....it may be something as simple as that...you never know. If you wash your washcloths w a detergent you are sensitive to or dry off w a towel washed in the same load, that might be what is causing the reaction.  The residue from the detergent mixed with dampness especially on open pores (freshly shaved skin) may be the culprit.  It's definately worth a try. Maybe switch razors as well. Use one especially meant for sensitive skin.   Good luck everyone
Hi. I also have this thing, but not every time after taking a shower. But it happens a lot. So one day i had this huge itch all over my body, i couldnt stand it anymore so i went immediatly to the doctor. He told me to use some sort of baby shampoos, use cold water and to find girlfriend... Ty doctor a lot... But i read here about this Aquagenic pruritus and i believe thats exactly what my problem is... Now im gonna go and tell my doctor "Hi, this is my girlfriend u son of a.."
For some of u's its NOT WASHING but DRYING urselves thats the causes the itch.

I used to hav itchy legs and arms after showering and i couldnt do anything but scratch until it goes away.

Ive tried using no shower gel/shampoo didnt help.

The only thing that seems to work is use a soft clean towel and make sure to dry urself very gentle ( softly PAT ur body thoroughly and do not rub ).

I think i hav Aquagenic Pruritus which baiscly means im alergic (allergic) to somethin in the water.
Look up this website it will tell what its about.
http://hanishbabu.suite101.com/how-to-get-rid-of-aquagenic-pruritus-a122200

If i shower in the evening or at night i get NO ITCH at all, in the morning i itch but its bearable. I dont know if this has anythin to do with it but i eat healthy, i drink alot of water and exercise often.

Also i wouldnt advise comin in from the cold and jumpin into a hot shower/ visa-versa

Hope this helps u find a solution,
Jordan
I have the same problem.  Started when I moved from overseas to the us.  Thought I just had to adjust to the water here but my skin continues to itch after over a year.  It's a bit better if I take a bath and load the water with baby oil.  Usually overseas it would only happen in the summer and I would turn on a coil heater and put it next to my skin and the itch would be less severe.  Here in the US my skin itches all year round. The air touching my skin seems to make it worse so I immediately put on clean clothes (sweats, long sleeve t-shirt) after showering.  Going to the Dr to see if they have any suggestions!!
Not sure this will help but after reading all of the posts, I followed what one of the posts said.  I was dreading taking my shower this morning and so I finally decided to go for it.  As one of the posts said, I did not use a sponge, rag, facecloth, nothing except a mild soap bar and only used it more vigorously where needed the most.  For the legs and arms I lathered the soap up in my hands and then let the shower water run through my hands as I placed them over my legs...touched my legs gently as to not disturb any of the hair follicles.  Did this and when I came out of the shower I gently patted dry wthout disturging the skin and put on baby oil only after I considered I was dry.  I was very careful in the shower not to rub the skin of my lesgs or arms, as thse are the parts that go so itchy, and the same during drying.  I have to say that the itch was almost unnoticeable for the first time in over a year so I think it really has to do with rubbing the skin under the water as with a sponge.  I thought I was going crazy with this problem as nobody I know or have spoken with even knew what I was talking about.  It has caused me so much stress that I even went to have an EKG done one time because of the stress.  Try what I have mentioned and see if it helps you.  A bath has not caused me as much itch because I would load up the water with baby oil and I think in the bath we don't rub  our skin as much; we kind of soak and perhaps that is why baths were better for me.  I hope from now on if I do what I did today I will not itch like crazy as it has been.  If it comes back I will post it.
Hi There!
I am 21 years old living in Australia and have had this terrible itchiness after I shower since i was 16. I find it also occurs when i do exercise and get sweaty... To stop this i find if i put moisturiser on (Burt's Bees works well) before i do exercise, the itchiness doesn't occur--but it will be after i shower.
My mum and I have tried many things to see what works, but the triggers are hard to find as sometimes ill have no itchiness after a shower and then the next night, doing the same routine and using the same products, i'll be super itchy.
Here is one that I've found works: Set up a bath of luke warm water before you have a shower. Place QV Body Wash and Pinetarsol ( 2 lids full of each) into the bath. Put oats into stockings and tie a knot in and place them in the bath aswell (2 will suffice). Have a shower, and as soon as you are out, hop into bath. Squeeze the oat filled stockings all over you and sit in there for about 15-20 minutes. Get out and PAT dry with the towel, to leave as much of the bath water on your skin as possible.
I have found that by sitting directly in front of a cold fan or air conditioner will also help, directly after a shower!
And if anything--- try as hard as you can to refrain from itching. If the feeling overwhelms you, lightly rub your skin, dont scratch as this will make it worse and it will take a lot longer to stop!

Hope this helps some of you-- it really *****, i know!
I have had the itchy skin after showering thing since a child. Although I have had periods of respite. It affects my legs mostly but also commonly my arms. Now I am 45 and it is worse than ever. It did take me well into adulthood to realise that the problem is not the water itself, but moving from a warm or hot environment to a cooler one. I don't take hot showere, btw, only warm. The problem can also occur if I get out of a warm bed and get up into a colder atmosphere.It used to happen when I was a little kid when I went to bed and I expect that I had probably had a bath not long before and then I would get into a bed that had cold, crisp linen sheets on a winter's night. I used to get it when I would walk to school with my bare legs on a cold morning. I have also found my skin will itch in airconditioning. For me, it is definately triggered by moving from warm to cooler.

Now that I have MS, it is even more irritating because my body reacts oddly to sensations and the itching itself will trigger what is called myoclonic jerking, and my legs and arms will just jerk involuntarily if I don't constantly alleviate the itching by scratching.

I do believe there is some kind of environmental allergen or invisible dermatitis which is worsened by the temperature change, but my only solution has been to cover up as quickly as possible after showering and avoid being cold for an extended period and just sit out the itching, but it is the MOST irritating and awful itching and I can totally relate; it drives you CRAZY!!!!
Heather313
I am the same. I used to always get dry and dressed after my shower in front of a coil radiator heater, even in the summer. The radiant heat from this type of heater or from the sun eases the itch. Aslo the air will make the itching worse. I have to cover up with long sleeves, but for me, this is all part of the temperature change from the warm shower to the cooler air. My skin will just not tolerate a sudden change from warm to cooler. I agree with others, that it is really a prickly type of itch and is so intense that you really can't do anything until it subsides and even when I cover up quickly, this can still take 30 mins.

Heather.
I have the same problem, searching online for a medical cause/fix.  For me this happens during the spring if I take lots of hot showers over the winter and spend too much time in the hot shower.  Very short cool showers and moisturizing lotion for a month or so will get rid of it.  I was looking for something better but some of the people in these threads have been suffering for years so, not perfect but that's what I do.
Hi, Im jed an am 19 ... I've literally just got out the shower and have been been itching my legs and arms, for a brief momment the itching sensatiion disappears and then returns 10 times worse and I feel like im loosing my mind and want to rip my skin off -.- im doing al this while trying to browse for answers. I've seen some comments on body lotions etc so i raided my mams bathroom and applied to my arms and legs "VASELINE: COCA RADIANT" It seems to work but not for very long. Im certain that its not my shower because its brand new and my towels are clean. I wash at a warm temperature, use lynx Chocolate to wash in and Head and Shoulders for my hair. Can Anyone suggest anything to help prevent me going insane ...
me too is over ten years with this itching after bath,let me go find soap with no sls and i will be back.
OMG! i AM 36 AND HAVE BEEN ITCHING since I was a child. For years when I was little I thought it was my sitting in the tub and the unclean water and soap was making me itch. This did stop for a moment. Then when I got older and would try to work out or even speed walk my legs would itch like crazy. I itch most when I take HOT showers oh Lord- I thought I was going to die last night. I have visited many doctors and I think they think I am crazy. I now take Zyrtek once a day and it helps but I think nothing is ever going to prevent it.
And I thought I was the only with this weird condition. Can't even keep a blanket or heater on even in the winter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquagenic_pruritus

my son has this problem
I also have had this problem for a few years now.  It is on and off when the itching occurs.  I have recently found this Olay in shower body lotion at Walmart that has seemed to make quite the difference!  
http://www.olay.com/skin-care-products/body-cleansing/In-shower-body-lotion?pid=037000419181
I have been suffering for years and years, think about 20 years now! My father used to get it but now he's 71 it has disappeared only to be replaced by horrific hay fever! Poor man!
Anyway...... It's driven me insane, nuts, crazy, scared to shower, have to shut myself away or pace around like a lune to calm myself down and try to ignore the pulses of ichting on my legs and surging up my body after a bath, a shower, a swim in sea, swim in a pool......
It is not caused by lotions or body wash.
It is a water problem. That's why people get this after swimming, some get it from sweating in the gym or playing golf.
TAKE AN ANTIHISTAMINE BEFORE YOU WASH OR SWIM.
WORKS EVERY TIME. LEAVE IT ABOUT 10/15mins BEFORE YOU MAKE CONTACT WITH WATER. OR DO SPORT.
My itching is always worse in winter/rainy season when the house is damp and verging on moldy. This is also a link.
Go to your pharmacy and get some antihistamines!
Good luck.  
Look at this

Try the antihistamines that they recommend here
Loratadine in mild cases or doxepin in severe cases.
Good luck.  
are the gifted health researcher can gather everyone of us to nail this issue. it seems nothing when discussing it , not until one experienced it. I am so scared to move near water or high humidity weather. I am an handsome man with a great skin but due to lack of shower regularly because of itching had downgraded my shining skin. it is becoming unbearable and sad not being able to take shower or bath.
I am trusting Jesus to help out for real.
It's eating you a live, but it's itching me to death. I'm just going to stop bathing, so if you see me coming you move over. I'll be the one with the dust cloud.
It's eating you a live, but it's itching me to death. I'm just going to stop bathing , so if you see me coming you move over.
I moved to Croatia a year ago and ever since I've been having this horrible itch after I take a shower. Back home I never had anything like that and I'm really going nuts. I already hate taking showers, especially during the winter when putting on jeans is like pealing my skin off. I put on tones of cream and lotions, but nothing helps.The itch lasts for at least 20 mins, no matter what I do. Also I have itch not only on my legs, arms and neck, but on my head and my hair falls. I belive it's mostly because the water is so different from the water back home, but still it's horrible sensation and I really have to figure out what to do.
I have this problem as well and I indirectly discovered by taking the vitamin BIOTIN (for my hair) about 2-3 hours before I shower....... that my skin doesn't itch after I shower.  It has truly been a miracle for me!!!!!!!  The dermatologist wasn't too interested in hearing about that when I went to see what was causing the itching......needless to say....I didn't go back.   Until I can find out what is causing this, I faithfully take biotin everyday.  I usually take 5,000mcg but found that taking 1,500 mcg has been just as effective.   PLEASE TRY IT.......IT MAY MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR Y OU
The most common cause of skin itching after shower is not the shower - that's just water in moderation, it's pretty harmless. It might surprise you to know that one ingredient used in most shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, shaving cream, shower gel, and 'soap' is also the most common skin irritant! What? Why? Why would companies make skincare products which include an ingredient that causes skin discomfort? The simplest answer: because the consumer demands it.
The problem of skin itching after shower, at bedtime, and during the winter is pretty common. While the time of day, the relative cleanliness, and the time of year seem unrelated, they are actually mostly caused by the same thing: sodium lauryl sulfate.

The connection and the cause is sodium lauryl sulfate, a chemical derived from coconuts. Now you're thinking I'm a kook, a crunchie, a goofball, or an alarmist. I'm not. Let's disprove these unspoken accusations with a bit of science - then we can move on to the solution and you can stop your skin itching after shower.

The Science
Sodium lauryl sulfate is used in laboratory testing to damage the skin's natural barrier function. One of the most important functions of skin is to keep things out. Things like chemicals, bacteria, and viruses would have unfettered entry into our bodies if it weren't for our skin. When a scientist wants to see what happens if a particular chemical does get in, they reach for sodium lauryl sulfate.

The damaging effect of sodium lauryl sulfate on the skin is objectively measurable - scientists don't ask, "Is your skin itching after shower?" They measure TEWL (trans epidermal water loss) to see how much water the skin is letting out. They also test for erythema, which means skin redness, by measuring the light that is absorbed and reflected. The final common measure is stratum corneum hydration, which measures the hydration of the stratum corneum (a skin layer) by electrical conduction. One study (J Am Acad Dermatol. 1994 Jun;30(6):944-9) showed that the damage caused by sls took 17 days to heal!

The Consumer's Role
Why do manufacturers use sls if it causes not only skin itching after shower, but also exaggerates allergic reactions (Contact Dermatitis. 2005 May;52(5):239-41), triggers eczema (Skin Res Technol. 2003 Nov;9(4):357-62), and causes canker sores (Compend Contin Educ Dent. 1997 Dec;18(12):1238-40)?

The biggest reason for pretty much everything is money. Consumers buy products containing sls because they like them, companies make them because consumers buy them. Pretty simple.

Sodium lauryl sulfate is a foaming ingredient - it makes toothpaste foamier and shampoo bubblier. Consumers like these feelings - it makes cleansing feel effective. But with more than 41% of the population sensitive to sls (Contact Dermatitis. 2003 Feb;48(2):99-107), is it worth it?

Is there an alternative that doesn't cause skin itching after shower?
Yes. Centuries before humans discovered that they could extract sls from coconuts to make a foamier soap, they were getting clean using sls-free soaps. Today's consumers can find sls-free products if they look hard enough and are willing to read the labels. Even products made by 'natural' companies can contain sodium lauryl sulfate. That's because it is a natural product (but so is hemlock.)

When reading the labels of your personal hygiene products, look for sls, sodium lauryl sulfate, or 'naturally derived surfactants or foaming agents.' These all usually mean the same thing - your skin itching after shower.
I've read this entire blog and no one has had MY PROBLEM dealing with major itchy wet skin. For those that have a rash, this does not apply.

When I visited a dermatologist and described the problem, she diagnosed the condition as Aquagenic Urticaria. I followed up with my allergist who put a sponge on my arm for over 10 minutes. Indeed my arm was itching like crazy, but no rash was present. He said, "You don't have Aquagenic Urticaria. If NO rash is present, it is NOT a urticaria (an allergic reaction to a substance). There is something else going on."

For over two years, I was severely itching when bathing, showering, sweating, getting rained on, putting lotion on, anything that wet my skin (arms + legs). I dreaded the fact that I had to maintain clean hygiene with what I thought was an allergy to water. I explained to friends that when soaking in a tub, it felt like 100's of bugs were biting me which got more intense the longer I stayed in the water. And shaving!! Oh my goodness. I would take a knife blade to my skin afterwards - scratching. The one thing that helped was sitting in front of a fan rubbing Gold Bond Shea Butter in until it flaked off.

Here was my problem.

If you constantly intake diet products with Aspartame, this could be the source of the itching.

Aspartame chemically breaks down into a couple toxic chemicals (methanol + formaldehyde) and also in the mix is formic acid.  Formic acid is the sting that bees and fire ants give off. That was when I made the connection -- bugs.

Therefore, this is a chemical reaction through the breakdown of Aspartame, and not an allergic reaction that causes a rash. My research lead to this conclusion:  the chemicals of (1) Methanol (2) carbon monoxide (3) sodium form  = methyl formate. Hydrolysis of methyl formate produces formic acid.
[see >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formic_acid <<<]

In layman's terms, here is the bio-experiment going on. Methanol is in aspartame. We breath carbon monoxide in the air which is called pollution. We intake salt all the time in our food. Add water, and it feels like bees or fire ants (which is the itching).

Also Read:

"side effects" by Dr. Janet Starr Hull
http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

"The most dangerous substance added to foods"
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx
I have the same problem from about mid-August to late November every year for about 6 years or so. It gets progressively worse every year. It's only on my arms and legs. It is such torture. I would rather feel pain than this kind of itching. It happens every morning after my shower. I find it passes fastest if I take a Claritin before I shower, shower in tepid water, shave, and apply lots of Gold Bond's Healing lotion to my arms and legs while I'm still soaking wet. Then I give my legs plenty of time to dry. I don't let a towel come near my arms or legs. I also take a while to open the bathroom door- because sometimes that temperature change can set off the itching. Yesterday the itching started out of the blue in the evening. I had run out of Claritin and hadn't taken one that morning. It was so bad that I actually cried, took 2 Benadryl and even got a Xanax from a friend. Then I did my shower remedy all over again. This calmed it down enough for me to go to the store to get more Claritin for this morning. I had to take one more Benadryl to get to sleep and slept with a pillow between my legs. This is such a frustrating problem because no one understands what torture severe itching can be and there are no visible signs on the skin. I am a healthy 24 year old female with no other medical problems or allergies. I don't know what to do but suffer until December. I'm pretty sure a doctor will just throw another antihistamine at me and tell me to use lotion, but I'm considering seeing one anyway.
I itch so bad when I get out of the shower that I want to peel my skin off, I am soooooo miserable and become very angry when this happens. I have noticed that when I itch, it just makes it worse. I like the comment to shower at night and/or put on the TV to distract from the itching. However before I get out of the shower I rinse off in cold water, because for me the hot shower is what triggers it. I did not know that moisterizers can make it worse, I am going to have to see if that is the case for me as well. I just want to know what causes it, and the fact that my doctor has no idea is VERY frusterating. Being this miserable before I even start my day is horrible.
To all of you i highly recommend going off all wheat/gluten!!! I had this condition for years and it lifted after about a month of 100% gluten free!  I have tried a few times eating gluten over the years and it comes right back!  It also can be a yeast or fungus in the skin ...this can be tested by a doc through skin testing...
I've had the same problem since I moved to California over 20 years ago from Chicago. I also noticed that when I travel some time it doesn't happen. I thought it was mental or my nerves and doctors said it was hot water. The only thing that helps are products with a cooling effect like menthol. I use a cheep product called anti-itch cream medicated. It has menthol 1.0 % and pramoxine hydrochloride 1.0 % . The cooling over powers the itch long enough to knee me from loosing it or until it stops. My itching last about 45 minutes.
Really think that if i take another shower or bath i am going to go flippen mad crazy! The itching is just to intense, i cant take it any more! Have tried about every thing to stop this and nothing seems to work. Hot, cold inbetween water temps doesnt matter i still itch. Tried every kind of soap and tried going with out. Some one please help!!!!
I have experienced the same issue for a few months now. The affected area is anywhere I have shaved before, but not necessarily right after shaving. I have changed my soap, razors, laundry detergent, everything. It is not getting better. I have tried itch creams and special lotions. The only thing that helps is a cold compress. It is so awful I want to crawl out of my skin. Scratching makes it 10 x worse. What I don't understand is why I never had the problem before. Nothing has changed. It started out mild - I always had itchy skin after the shower, but it has gotten so much worse. It helps to hear others are experiencing this problem. It is very sad.
i am going through the same problem at this time. it is so miserable to take a shower, both legs and some parts of my arms itch for atleast 30mins and some times about an hour and i feel like evey thing around me is dirty. i noticed that if i put on a pair of pants that was just ironed, the itching subsides. yesterday, i turned my temperatures up to about 80 degress and the ithching was very much less and lasted only for 15 minutes max. i think i might but a space heater only for after shower purposes. will give updates if this does not work.
I have the same issue (itchy skin after shower), not going to get into much detail so im going to give you the direct and COMPLETE REMEDY! So you wouldnt be scared to take showers, like i was.
- TAKE mulitimultimins, allergy medecine and/or antibiotics
- Use african black soap or morrocan black soap or argan oil base soap/shower gel. In a word, use soap dirived form natural essential oils (if u would like to know what kind, pleae inform me)
- MAINTAIN  healthy food diet and exercices
- WEAR clothing that is smooth on the skin
- Moiturize and massage your body after every shower with essentiel or natural oils (olive oil, argan oil, shea butter....) Give your self a little pampering, the itching will be a bit relieved
TELL ME IF IT WORKS FOR YA!
Mine literally started just 2 weeks ago. Im 35 and never had this happen. I even went to the ER. The dr didn't run tests but wrote a script for benadyl n cream. Didn't help either. Yesterday i didn't itch at all n went to take a shower as soon as i got out it was like ants on my arms n legs. But i do take hot showers always have w no problem. I threw my loofah out thinking it was that but just now had really hot water on my arms n they started to itch. I just wanna know why now??? If its the hot water wich i will now not be doing to see if that is it.

Theresia
The biggest reason people itch right after the shower is the soap or chemical they are using . Normally after having a shower or bath , your skin gets clean . Clean of dirt as well as clean of some "Useful oil" which protects your skin. Since soap and the other chemicals we use while taking bath , they cleans off those useful oils.
But we do not start itching in the shower itself it is because of the water still there on skin making a Layer . So there is no contact of the Bare skin to the air . But the moment we dry our self up , the water is no longer there and leaving the skin "Dry" with nothing to protect it from . So the skin becomes too much sensitive and starts to itch .

So the best thing to do would be is right after shower/bath "PAT" with the towel to dry instead of rubbing and right after that use moisturizer so to protect the skin from being itchy .

If that still itch a lot for hours even after applying moisturizer then please do consult your doctor .
Wow Heather!  I feel your pain. Literally. I am a 38 y/o man and have dealt with the same itch problem since about age 16.  I've never seen a doc about my problem. I'm about to. I too have to isolate myself from my wife when ia have an episode.  I only recently even told her how bad it is as it seems to be getting worse. It is quite refreshing yet sad to know its not just me, not in my head and is as severe for others as it is for me. I swear I've felt like scraping my skin off with a blade. Even wondered what I might accomplish with a flame.  So, yeah this crap really drives me literally CRAZY for a limited time frame.

Mine only kicks in After showers. I'm always trying to figure out triggers ... to no avail. Tried every temperature for my water, tried every soap and expensive lotion/cream/moisturizer (cetafil is best for me but its not magic).  I try to take notice of what is different on the rare occasions that I don't itch. Nothing stands out. When its bad. It seems like EVERY THING is a factor. From the humidity level to each specific move I make.  Sometimes when I'm moisturizing it feels like that is a trigger. If I leave the restroom and have to return, it seems like the atmoatmospheric hang is the problem.  Of course by the time the itching gets really bad, I'm not thinking clearly anyway.
Its Saturday now. I plan to go see my doc regarding this condition during the next week.
Like Heather, I know I didn't offer any solutions. I just needed to vent. No person that I know personally understands like I know you do!
i'm buying a showerhead filter.  i can relate to everyone here.  the feeling is excruciating.  and people who don't experience it can really understand how bad it is.  it has brought me to tears a few times over my life.  i'm mid-40s.  these past couple of weeks with the weather changing here in DC, it has been sheer awfulness every single morning after my shower.  i hope i have the problem pinpointed.  i hope it's a matter of the chemicals in the city water.  i'm buying a filter and am optimistic that i'll get some relief.  wouldn't it be nice if it was as simple as this?  i'll check back in to let you know.  ...in my bit of research, it looks like the sprite showerheads are the best brand to get.  i'll let you know.
1. I use natural vegetable soap, then about 3 times a week i rub coconut oil all over me right after my shower while I'm wet.
2. I don't itch the area. Makes it worse. I rub it lightly and suffer through the itch. If you have recurring itches periodically like I have, then this is very effective. For several years I had itchy shoulders when I went to bed. My brother said no matter what, never itch them. This helped heal up my skin better than anything else. My skin didn't look damaged or dry. Just itched.
It heals underneath.
3. I use Dr. Hoy's on the itchy parts.  It is a natural pain relief gel but works for itching better than anything else. It burns nicely. And burn feels better than itch. Sometimes at night if it nags me I rub that on there to get rid of it.  If I had a magic remedy to give, this is it. Forget all the other worthless creams.

4. Benadryl. I take one pink pill if I am especially suffering with it. This helps a lot.

5. If I drink alcohol it makes it worse. Especially red wine. I still drink it but only now and then. It isn't worth the half hour buzz only to suffer later.
I notice if I eat jalapeno peppers it also makes it worse. I still eat them because I wouldn't want to live if I couldn't have salsa, but it does cause me to itch.

6. Itchy scalp: I make sure to really rinse that soap out of my scalp where it itches and apply conditioner to my scalp.

All these things I have found to help me live better with my itchy condition. If you were to see my skin you would never imagine I live in an itchy body.  I just do my best to manage it and I am lucky enough to have some days where i don't itch at all.   These remedies help you from going insane.

Best takeaway:  Don't itch it. Be strong!!  For me, I realize now the odds of it ever going away completely are pretty slim.
P.S.  I forgot to say. I quit sleeping with my dogs. They track in plants/pollen on their feet and then I was rolling in their hair and plants. Not good for itchers!  Even if you aren't allergic.  
I need to know what kind of test i need to know why my skin is so itchy after a shower, my Dr. just give me a precripsion and seems like nothing helps. please HELP ME!
Y'ALL - Lather up with Trader Joe's Coconut Body Butter ASAP after gently toweling off. If I don't lotion up within minutes after showering, the itch is terrible for about 15 min. The itch rarely happens during the summer months, but I still lotion up, so I'm thinking its the dryness/coldness in the air? I have tried all lotions in desperation over the years (even gold bond) and found that the Coconut Body Butter is THE KEY. I swear by it guys!! Also, baths instead of showers are helpful. COCONUT BODY BUTTER FROM TRADER JOE'S. <3 good luck, Itchy friends!!!!
Hi there,
I am so glad to of found this forum!! I suffer from extremely painful, intense itching after showers. usually just my legs, but can be on my arms from time to time. I am going to head to my doctors to try and get a prescription for Propranolol to see if this helps, otherwise will try out Biotin as someone else mentioned! I am desperate to find some kind of cure for this. I have had it for over the past 4 years and have never found any cure. recently, it has become so intense that it brings me to tears. it makes me run late constantly as I end of spending at least 30mins each morning crazily itching trying different ways to help ease the itch. sometimes, I find running a cold shower and just standing under in until my legs are numb of coldness can help, but then this doesn't last very long. Another thing that can help is putting pants on straight after a shower although this does not always work. I really just hope to find something that will stop me from getting this!!! I completely understand some of your comments and feel for anyone else who experiences this excruciating painful itching!! I will let you know how I go!
Hi, for me this was a sudden one time rash. It happened after I got into the shower, without getting wet myself (but with my bare arms and legs), to shower my two year old. My shower is big enough to fit us both without me getting wet beyond some splashes.  As soon as I came out I started to itch and see redness in my skin.  My theory:
1. The soap got sticked to my skin and remained there, causing an allergic reaction
2.  Everyday I spray the shower with a bit of clorox or those shower cleaning products, as I was not getting wet myself, but the temperature was high, I bet that there were some product fumes.
3.  Any hardness of the water stayed in my body, causing an allergic reaction.

After I read all (minutes after I saw the rash), I went ahead and showered myself trying to take all off).  I hope it helps, if I don't post again, it means that the rash went away by itself.  
If you suffer from aquagenic pruritis (intense itching / pins and needles after washing) then GET A BLOOD TEST FOR P.V. (high red blood cell count).

It may cause symptoms such as visual disturbances, itching, aquagenic pruritis, fatigue, high blood pressure, dizzy spells, headaches.

It's treatable but potentially fatal if you don't spot it (can cause thrombosis).

Get a comprehensive blood panel!!!
Nothing will help you except from lowering your Hemoglobin count between 10-12,0.mg/dL max.
Actually 16mg/dL its the max level. For SOME reason people with 13 or 14 or even little more  tend to have this problem after having bath during summer,because of weather makes sweat.
This will not happen in winter time or in summer in places where there is a low humidity.
Also don't buy special soaps or creams wouldn't either help you.
Viewing 201-226 comments: