infected blackhead??

This forum is for questions regarding Dermatology issues, such as: rashes, acne, birthmarks, skin infections, rosacea, and general skin care.

infected blackhead??

I have had a blackhead on my lower right back for approximately two years.  I had my general practitioner look at it at my last physical and was told it was a blackhead.  Today, I felt pain in the area and looked in the mirror and the area is red and hard and sore to the touch.  Could this be an infected blackhead?  I have applied bacitracin to the area.  Any suggestions as to if this is an infected blackhead or something else?
From the symptoms it sounds like infected sebaceous cyst. They may occur anywhere on body but scalp, ears, back, face, and upper arm, are common sites for sebaceous cysts. Blocked sebaceous glands, swollen hair follicles and excessive testosterone production will cause such cysts.

Generally no treatment is required but they become painful then it means they are infected. Apply warm compresses on the cyst and consult a doctor for surgical excision by traditional wide excision, minimal excision or punch biopsy excision. Also take some anti inflammatory analgesics for the pain.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

THanks for your help.  I went to my physician today and they confirmed it was a infected sebaceous cyst with cellucitis. She put me on Keflex and if it hasn't improved within the next 3 to 4 days I need to see a surgeon.  I was glad I went in!